First time brewing with Galaxy, requesting advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMO3

Reaction score
My pound of Galaxy hops arrived. I'm planning to brew a hazy NEIPA style. I'm a HUGE fan of Tree House Green, looking for good hops to partner with Galaxy?

My initial thoughts are boil with Columbus, and introduce Galaxy and Citra around the 15-20 min mark, then another hit of both Galaxy and Citra at flameout, another shot at 170 whirlpool for 30-45minutes. 1.25oz per pound dry hop of both Galaxy and Citra at day 3-5.

Any suggestions on grain bill? Thinking 70% 2row, 12-15% Vienna, 12-15 Raw wheat malt, and maybe a small amount of cara.

I've read a lot on Galaxy's potential to overpower a beer, of course I perceive TH Green to be heavily dominated by Galaxy.

Any guidance / wisdom will be much appreciated. /Cheers

Columbus fine for boil hop?
Yeah I love Columbus and use it hotside often. Target 20-30 ibus hotside and the. Dryhop it crazy. I’d use Citra mosiac in whirlpool and galaxy Citra mosiac deyhop

Yeah I love Columbus and use it hotside often. Target 20-30 ibus hotside and the. Dryhop it crazy. I’d use Citra mosiac in whirlpool and galaxy Citra mosiac deyhop
Thanks, I'll add Mosiac to the mix. Thoughts on upping dry hop to 1.5oz per gallon? Would roughly be 7-8oz dry hop for 5gal. To heavy?

Thanks again.

Thanks, I'll add Mosiac to the mix. Thoughts on upping dry hop to 1.5oz per gallon? Would roughly be 7-8oz dry hop for 5gal. To heavy?

Thanks again.
That’s definitely a standard amount, I’m anywhere from 1.25-2.0oz per gallon depending on if it’s a single, double, or triple ipa.

If you wanna just do Columbus/galaxy that’s a great combo too. That’s what Trillium’s congress street hop bill is. All Columbus hotside and then Galaxy dryhop. Anything you choose will be pretty good.

A lot of spots blend Amarillo with Galaxy. Believe it or not centennial as well. Talked to a very well respected brewery owner in CA who’s brewery is very well know for making incredible hoppy beers and he said he prefers a 50/50 Galaxy/Centennial beer to all Galaxy. Says you can pick out the intricacies of the Galaxy better.

If you really want the beer to be Galaxy focused I’d use some blend of Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe as say 30% of the total hop load. They act as filler hops to add depth and overall “hoppiness” but won’t detract from the Galaxy too much. This is what Tree House does with Green for instance.

You have to be a bit careful of using it in the boil. It can lead to a harsher bitterness when boiled for too long. Personally I’d save all Galaxy additions for WP on the hotside.

I would wait until fermentation is done before dry hopping. Galaxy is really high in polyphenol content and when added during fermentation can really cause some serious hop burn that will take a while to condition out. Dry hopping it a bit colder than ferm temps would be beneficial as well but you need the right setup to do that.

A lot of spots blend Amarillo with Galaxy. Believe it or not centennial as well. Talked to a very well respected brewery owner in CA who’s brewery is very well know for making incredible hoppy beers and he said he prefers a 50/50 Galaxy/Centennial beer to all Galaxy. Says you can pick out the intricacies of the Galaxy better.

If you really want the beer to be Galaxy focused I’d use some blend of Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe as say 30% of the total hop load. They act as filler hops to add depth and overall “hoppiness” but won’t detract from the Galaxy too much. This is what Tree House does with Green for instance.

You have to be a bit careful of using it in the boil. It can lead to a harsher bitterness when boiled for too long. Personally I’d save all Galaxy additions for WP on the hotside.

I would wait until fermentation is done before dry hopping. Galaxy is really high in polyphenol content and when added during fermentation can really cause some serious hop burn that will take a while to condition out. Dry hopping it a bit colder than ferm temps would be beneficial as well but you need the right setup to do that.
Excellent info, I'm still building out the recipe, I know I have some Amarillo, Simcoe and Columbus. I've added Centennial to my next bulk hop purchase.

Thanks for sharing.
Gmo

@couchsending what cooler dry hop temp should one target? I have tried around 60 with good results. I know of a pro brewer who recirculates at 55 a few times for 2 days then crashes. Any tips?

Nate once stated it’s 80% Galaxy. I would use Columbus for bitter addition then 80/10/10 % Galaxy / Amarillo / Citra for flavor additions. Obviously a lot of the flavor from Green comes from the yeast but I believe that’s pretty close to their hop profile.

I went with Columbus for bittering, a small simcoe addition at 5min, and Amarillo and Galaxy at WP and dry hop. It's in the keg now. I'll post follow up after I tap in week or so.

Looking forward to hearing about your results.
Side note, I picked up some Green from the brewery last wknd. There was more bitterness than I remembered. It was smooth and all on the back end. Thought that was interesting.

Here is the finished brew. Close But not quite green, have few ideas for the next attempt. My IBUs came in at 56, will target 75-80 on the next batch.

Attachments

• 1B5CA6DF-5AA7-4D53-B312-9AB6E98003CA.jpeg
    1B5CA6DF-5AA7-4D53-B312-9AB6E98003CA.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 58
Here is the finished brew. Close But not quite green, have few ideas for the next attempt. My IBUs came in at 56, will target 75-80 on the next batch.
Looks like your grainbill is off some as well. That is if you’re going for a genuine clone. I mean lighting and angle def play a big role here, so it could be just that

Last edited:
Looks like your grainbill is off some as well. That is if you’re going for a genuine clone. I mean lighting and angle def play a big role here, so it could be just that
Yes, I went the route of no flaked grains...may bite the bullet and add some in the next version. It's a great tasting beer, just not what I'm aiming for.

EDIT: I think I went to heavy on the Honey Malt

Last edited:
Green has no flaked adjuncts. Pretty sure it’s 2 row, carafoam with 2% or less of some low lovibond crystal/Cara malt for color. Maybe 8% Carafoam??

Keep you boil pH low and don’t dry hop until after fermentation is complete and at a cooler temp (and not in the keg).

Should have no problem with Haze stability.

Green has no flaked adjuncts. Pretty sure it’s 2 row, carafoam with 2% or less of some low lovibond crystal/Cara malt for color. Maybe 8% Carafoam??

Keep you boil pH low and don’t dry hop until after fermentation is complete and at a cooler temp (and not in the keg).

I’ve always had a strong feeling they have biscuit or cara Munich in green. There is just this underlying bready/crackery note in it that’s not in the other core beers. Maybe 3-5% which also would fit the srm

My last check of the PH was 5.4 with about 10 minutes left in the mash. what's the upper limit in your opinion?

I just brewed a “greenish” clone Saturday. Used mostly Pilsner malt, 2lbs pale wheat and 2% honey malt. Used centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo in the boil and galaxy in whirlpool. Fermented with Voss. Just dry hopped this morning 80% galaxy and the rest split of Amarillo and Simcoe @60f. Pre dry hop abv sitting at 7.3%. Should be a damn good beer.

I just brewed a “greenish” clone Saturday. Used mostly Pilsner malt, 2lbs pale wheat and 2% honey malt. Used centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo in the boil and galaxy in whirlpool. Fermented with Voss. Just dry hopped this morning 80% galaxy and the rest split of Amarillo and Simcoe @60f. Pre dry hop abv sitting at 7.3%. Should be a damn good beer.
I haven't used Voss yet, which brand Voss do you prefer? Recipe sounds tasty.

I haven't used Voss yet, which brand Voss do you prefer? Recipe sounds tasty.
I’ve only used omega Voss then harvest and reuse. Pitch tsp of slurry at around 95f gets good esters. Tropical fruity.

My last check of the PH was 5.4 with about 10 minutes left in the mash. what's the upper limit in your opinion?

try acidifying to below 5.2 before the start of the boil.

Kviek yeast won’t get you close to anything that resembles Green in my opinion.

try acidifying to below 5.2 before the start of the boil.

Kviek yeast won’t get you close to anything that resembles Green in my opinion.
What do you typically use for dropping PH? I've been using gypsum / calcium chloride, wonder if I should move to phosphoric or lactic acid?

Last edited:
What do you typically use for dropping PH? I've been using calcium chloride, wonder if I should move to phosphoric or lactic acid?
Either will work. I use lactic but if you have very high bicarbonate and need to use a lot of acid to get your ph down you’ll be better of using phosphoric. Cacl is not an adequate way to adjust ph

What do you typically use for dropping PH? I've been using gypsum / calcium chloride, wonder if I should move to phosphoric or lactic acid?

It’s an added benefit that Ca based water salts reduce pH but they really shouldn’t be used for that purpose. Acid malt is great for mash pH adjustments.

I’ve used Citric, Lactic, Phosphoric, and recently this wine making acid blend to adjust pH in the mash, in the kettle, and even occasionally post fermentation.

Don’t bother buying the 10% phosphoric, it’s a total waste of money. I’d start with 88% lactic.

Since were talking about galaxy and “Green” type IPA. Here’s my version. It’s been 21 days since brew day and damn it needs more time to condition. I dry hopped after fermentation of kveik. I think I should have let it sit more prior to dry hop or just use a different yeast. Galaxy is one crazy hop. @couchsending youre right, it’s gonna take a while for things to settle out. Aroma and mouth feel are amazing but it has that yeast/hop burn bite to it. Just have to let it sit and mellow out more for another ten days and try again.

Attachments

• 093B0C01-1042-4146-B2D3-22328CF82979.jpeg
    093B0C01-1042-4146-B2D3-22328CF82979.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 27
Had another sample today of my 80% galaxy ipa and it still has hop burn. Wonder how long it will take to diminish..

Here is my second attempt. greatly reduced Honey malt and pressure fermented at 1 bar.

Attachments

• 30603383-B3EC-49EC-996D-7DA4B0108CF0.jpeg
    30603383-B3EC-49EC-996D-7DA4B0108CF0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Back