First time brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzuluaga

Reaction score
So last night I decided to finally start my brew day. I’m using a Belgian Saison kit from Brewers Best. Everything went really smooth during the boil.....until the last 15 minutes. I added all my ingredients when the directions told me to, except the candy syrup pouch. I realized at the last minute and decided to add it then. Will this affect the beer at all? I’ve never done this and was hoping to get some feedback.

Congratulations! You've joined the club of brewers who made a mistake in brewing. That club, BTW, includes all the brewers who ever lived.... :)

You should be fine as long as the syrup had time to be sterilized by the boil and it should have.

RDWHAHB. Relax, don't worry, have a home brew. Well, you can't yet as this is your first one, but know that the brewing process is fairly resilient. It may not turn out exactly the same, but it'll be close enough to be beer, and if you have done the rest of the process correctly....you'll have beer!

So last night I decided to finally start my brew day. I’m using a Belgian Saison kit from Brewers Best. Everything went really smooth during the boil.....until the last 15 minutes. I added all my ingredients when the directions told me to, except the candy syrup pouch. I realized at the last minute and decided to add it then. Will this affect the beer at all? I’ve never done this and was hoping to get some feedback.

I agree. About the only thing that may happen is your gravity will be off from Target.

Stuff happens man, and about the only thing you ever truly need to bring worries about is being sanitary.

Have fun.

Congratulations! You've joined the club of brewers who made a mistake in brewing. That club, BTW, includes all the brewers who ever lived.... :)

You should be fine as long as the syrup had time to be sterilized by the boil and it should have.

RDWHAHB. Relax, don't worry, have a home brew. Well, you can't yet as this is your first one, but know that the brewing process is fairly resilient. It may not turn out exactly the same, but it'll be close enough to be beer, and if you have done the rest of the process correctly....you'll have beer!

At boiling temps the pasteurization is nearly instantaneous. Sterilization requires higher temperatures because things like botulin spores can survive boiling. We usually only worry about pasteurization because botulin cannot propagate in beer because of the acidity and that pasteurization can happen all the way down to about 140F but as the temperature gets lower it takes more time.

You'll be fine, you'll have beer. Absolutely nothing wrong with adding a simple sugar at the end of the boil.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I’m pretty damn excited about this whole process. It has been about ten hours since I pitched the yeast and put the airlock on. I’m starting to notice a bit of a head developing on top and also a constant “stirring,” in the beer. I’m assuming that’s the yeast doing it’s thing.

A suggestion: If you haven't already, write up instructions in the form of a checklist, and keep them in front of you while brewing. I've been brewing 10 years and still use it (and still have mishaps).

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I’m pretty damn excited about this whole process. It has been about ten hours since I pitched the yeast and put the airlock on. I’m starting to notice a bit of a head developing on top and also a constant “stirring,” in the beer. I’m assuming that’s the yeast doing it’s thing.

If you hold a light up to the primary, the "stirring" will be a very noticeable churning of yeast within the wort. In lighter beers it almost seems like a snowglobe. After two to three weeks the activity will decrease and you'll be ready for the next step.

Back