First time brewing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yagermyster

Reaction score
IMG_20171123_081335.jpg
I worried my beer isn't doing right I started on Sunday and the airlock was bubbling every 5-6 sec and then Tuesday it wasn't bubbling at all so I moved it and the glass fermenter felt like ice I check with the temperature it said 40°f so I moved it to get warm then it started bubbling every 8-10 secs now it's not doing anything and smells sour and I seen to add a little more yest to it so I did but still nothing. So is it gone or is there still hope? Oh and the airlock keeps sucking water in is it post to do that?
My beer is a Brooklyn brewshop afternoon wheat starter kit

Attachments

• IMG_20171123_081406.jpg
    IMG_20171123_081406.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Your problem is you let the fermentor get cold, which caused the yeast to go dormant. Typically, fermentation for ales occurs between 60-70 degrees, depending on the yeast of course. How did you let it get down to 40 degrees? You basically cold crashed it.

What yeast did you use?

Your fermentor has the remnants of a krausen ring indicating the fermentation did start and the most active part of the fermentation has ended. Unless you are using a lager yeast 40°F is too cool for ale yeasts. Sounds like you are beginning your brewing hobby without temperature control. Was the ambient temperature of the room where the fermentor was located always at 40°? What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast?

Most often suck back through the air lock is caused by the beer cooling lowering the air pressure inside the fermentor. A high pressure weather system can also push the air lock liquid into the fermentor. Is the air lock filled with a sanitary solution like vodka or a Star San solution?

The air lock activity you saw when the beer was warmed could have been the fermentation restarting or just the CO2 coming out of solution. You could have pitched the yeast at a warm enough temperature for some yeasts to finish in 2 to 3 days before the temperature dropped too low for the yeast to remain active. Which yeast did you use?

Warm the beer to a room temperature of 68° to 75°F. A few days after the beer is warmed check the specific gravity if there is no sign of fermentation activity.

A stick on thermometer strip for the fermentor is an easy way to track the temperature of fermentation.

I know this doesn't give you all the specifics you need. Come back with more questions.

As others say - move it somewhere a bit warmer and yeast should get going again if it's not finished

My advice is to try everything possible before adding something (like more yeast in) - it's pretty hard to get an infection especially after ferment has started - most infections I've seen are from messing with a brew

Your fermentor has the remnants of a krausen ring indicating the fermentation did start and the most active part of the fermentation has ended. Unless you are using a lager yeast 40°F is too cool for ale yeasts. Sounds like you are beginning your brewing hobby without temperature control. Was the ambient temperature of the room where the fermentor was located always at 40°? What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast?

Most often suck back through the air lock is caused by the beer cooling lowering the air pressure inside the fermentor. A high pressure weather system can also push the air lock liquid into the fermentor. Is the air lock filled with a sanitary solution like vodka or a Star San solution?

The air lock activity you saw when the beer was warmed could have been the fermentation restarting or just the CO2 coming out of solution. You could have pitched the yeast at a warm enough temperature for some yeasts to finish in 2 to 3 days before the temperature dropped too low for the yeast to remain active. Which yeast did you use?

Warm the beer to a room temperature of 68° to 75°F. A few days after the beer is warmed check the specific gravity if there is no sign of fermentation activity.

A stick on thermometer strip for the fermentor is an easy way to track the temperature of fermentation.

I know this doesn't give you all the specifics you need. Come back with more questions.

Ok I'll try to get it warm and see if it do anything :/

Here's the box my beer kit came in
IMG_20171123_165622.jpg
IMG_20171123_165657.jpg
IMG_20171123_165736.jpg
IMG_20171123_165818.jpg

I don't know what yeast it is it just says yeast pack on the pack
1511475555813-447662949.jpg
1511475616974-689282069.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know what yeast it is it just says yeast pack on the pack[ATTACH=full said:

I got started with Brooklyn kits too. They work well and are a good way to jump in and learn about all grain brewing from the start.
Yes they just make packets of "beer" yeast. I've always assumed it's just bulk US-05 or a similarly generic yeast that they break down in to small packets. I've never seen them with a different yeast in their kits.

Update: yesterday I got it up to room temperature and no activity in airlock. Someone said to add like a cup or less of sugar I added like 2/4cup of sugar and it's bubbling every 3secs now

Update: today at 8pm airlock stopped bubbling so should I leave it alone or check it?

Update: today at 8pm airlock stopped bubbling so should I leave it alone or check it?
I would give it more time. Your brewing in a bucket? CO2 could still be in production or just off gassing at the rim instead of developing enough pressure to go through the air lock.

edit: Oops. Your fermentor is a carboy. I would still give it a little more time.

I would give it more time. Your brewing in a bucket? CO2 could still be in production or just off gassing at the rim instead of developing enough pressure to go through the air lock.

edit: Oops. Your fermentor is a carboy. I would still give it a little more time.

Ok it still has a week and one day to go

Well just thought I'll update there's been no action in the airlock for 2 days. Saturday I decided to sneak a taste and it's a bit bitter and taste kinda like whiskey sorta like jack I took about a double shot glass full and put it in a bottle to see if it corbanate but it didn't do anything

Back