Quantcast

First Time Brewing from Scratch, think I got everything down except super confused about yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Conner James

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time (extract) brewer here so be gentle please haha. I have spent the past month getting every little bit of science down for a high gravity blueberry ale (5 gallon batch) I've wanted to make, I am ready to brew on wednesday but I'm still honestly having trouble understanding yeast. To give you some specs to help I am using 16.5 lbs of pale malt extract, 3 lbs flaked rye, and 3 lbs caramel 10L for this recipe as well as a total of 2 oz of Williamette Hops. I have an estimated OG of 1.108 and estimated FG of 1.035 and I'd really like to reach that goal but I know it will depend on the yeast I am using. From the advice I've received from an employee at my local homebrew shop I purchased 5.24 fl oz of Imperial Flagship ale yeast (A07) which has 200 billion cells of brewing yeast. I have also purchased 11.5 g of Safale s-04 dry yeast. I hadn't really intended on making a starter since I have already spent so much time learning everything else. Can anyone give me some tips on how to reach my Final Gravity? Do I pitch the liquid beforehand and then dry once in the carboy? Do I have to make something with the liquid yeast? Forgive the dumb questions I just genuinely want to be educated on this. Thanks a ton

Steveruch

Reaction score
A yeast starter is called for here; you don't have enough yeast.
As a beginner your best bet would be to use multiple packs of dry yeast. Even with the A07 one pack of S-04 is under pitching.

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have you brewed other batches before? If you are a new brewer, this does not sound like the best place to start. One reason, is that your beer will likely not be in prime shape for 6+ months, so it is kind of hard to learn much from this batch. With big beers you have to be on point with yeast pitches, aeration, and temp control. Also, I am not sure what flavors 3 lbs flaked rye will even add if steeped (vs a mash or partial mash).

Honestly, this does not sound like a good recipe for a Blueberry Ale. Did you come up with this all your own? How much blueberry are you adding?

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that you are biting off a lot to chew. For that beer I would make a sizable starter with the liquid yeast. Forget about the dry yeast entirely. Aerate the wort very well. Pure oxygen would be best. Pitch and let fermentation start. Then when I see activity and no more than 24 hours later I would aerate again. Temperature controlled fermentation would be advisable also.

This beer will not really be ready to drink for 4-6 months, maybe longer.

I would start off with a kit, proven recipe, something in the 1.050 OG neighborhood. Get a feel for brewing before tackling such a large beer. I didn't do one like that for 6 months and it was not quite as big.

OP
C

Conner James

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time (extract) brewer here so be gentle please haha. I have spent the past month getting every little bit of science down for a high gravity blueberry ale (5 gallon batch) I've wanted to make, I am ready to brew on wednesday but I'm still honestly having trouble understanding yeast. To give you some specs to help I am using 16.5 lbs of pale malt extract, 3 lbs flaked rye, and 3 lbs caramel 10L for this recipe as well as a total of 2 oz of Williamette Hops. I have an estimated OG of 1.108 and estimated FG of 1.035 and I'd really like to reach that goal but I know it will depend on the yeast I am using. From the advice I've received from an employee at my local homebrew shop I purchased 5.24 fl oz of Imperial Flagship ale yeast (A07) which has 200 billion cells of brewing yeast. I have also purchased 11.5 g of Safale s-04 dry yeast. I hadn't really intended on making a starter since I have already spent so much time learning everything else. Can anyone give me some tips on how to reach my Final Gravity? Do I pitch the liquid beforehand and then dry once in the carboy? Do I have to make something with the liquid yeast? Forgive the dumb questions I just genuinely want to be educated on this. Thanks a ton
Thanks for all the advice everyone, It turns out my understanding of gravity was completely different. I did not intend to make as big of a beer as the gravity that was predicted. I was aiming for more 6 to 7 percent. I am still going to attempt this recipe and see where it goes. Once again, I appreciate all the advice.

mulletmaster

Reaction score
Did you scale it back or are you still proceeding with the original recipe? 16.5 lb malt extract is a lot.