First Time Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akdiesel

Reaction score
Done some brewing with the Mr. Beer kit and wanted to step it up a little so I bought the Brewcraft Deluxe kit. I am in a unique place: Alaska. Which brings my first question: Where does everyone from cold climates setup their brewing stuff? I have a garage but it's kept at very low heat (40f), I also have a spare room but have heard brewing can be messy and am torn since the house stays 65-70, a little too warm from what I've read, but the garage is too cold I think.

Aside from that my main question is what do you suggest I start with for a first time brew? I am a fan of everything but saisons so I'm not picky.

Search for a clone of your favorite beer or find a tried-and-true recipe for a style you particularly like.

Regarding where to brew, you're likely going to start in the kitchen, but possibly the driveway/garage on a turkey fryer. Move it to somewhere where the ambient temps are conducive to good fermentation temps. A swamp cooler will help (tub of water for greater thermal mass - add hot water or ice to regulate - downside is that YOU are a manual thermostat). Maybe a breezeway between your garage and house? I'll need detailed floor plans of your house to make a better suggestion...

Thanks for the input. I would like to use our kitchen but don't really have much in the way of space there...I do have a large closet that is unused and linoleum flooring in case there is a big mess it's not ruining carpet...here's a picture of the 1st floor (where the garage and that large closet is)
4f620beabb2cc537.jpg

Hahaha. I was actually kidding about the floor plan. Nice place, though.

Anywhere you can control the temperature should be good. Interior closets are nice because there is no light (light skunks beer).

Like I said, if you don't have a place with the perfect ambient temperature, don't worry. Not that many people do. And even if they did, they would probably use a swamp cooler as a heat sink for the thermal energy produced by fermentation.

Here's what you do:
Get a tub for like $5-10 from any giant store (the type of tub you put a keg and ice into). Fill it 1/4 full with water and put your fermenter in it. Monitor temps via stick on thermometer and swap out ice bottles as necessary. You only have to do ice bottles for a few days. Then let it free rise and leave it alone for about two weeks. Check gravity and proceed with packaging.

I would say garage, it's easier to keep beer warm than it is to cool it down. You can build a temperature regulator device for under 50 bucks. Just search for STC-1000 builds. Garage for another reason... There are 2 types of home brewers. Those that have mopped beer off their ceiling, and those that haven't yet.

Thanks guys. I will have to look into those setups. What kind of minimum temperature are we talking to be conducive to fermentation? I basically want to waste a ton of $$ and beer by totally messing up the temps

Depends on what you're brewing. Lagers are typically 46-58 and ales are typically 60-74, but it depends on the yeast strain and beer type... which is why temperature control is important. Most of the common ale yeast strains seem to work best between 64-68. Your garage temperature is closest to lager fermenting temperature, but a little too far on the cold side.

Back