first time brewer- getting high sg ratings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st33n

Reaction score
Hi.

Got a homebrew kit for xmas. Put it all together and it has been brewing for 9 days. Weather has dropped in temperature so the.thermostat changed from 24 degrees to 18. I have moved the fermenter into a warmer location. Temperature is around 22-24 degrees now.

Took a couple of readings on the 5th and 6th day. Both were 1.14. Took another reading on the 9th day after it has been in a warmer temperature and the reading is the same.

Question: is it ready to bottle?
Local home brew guy said not yet. Need to wait till it's 1.005.
Will it ever get to that level?

Thanks

18C is actually a better temp for ale yeast. And 9 days in at 1.014,I'd let ride a while longer. What was the OG?

Og rating was never taken. Instructions never mentioned anything about taking a pre reading. So I never did it...

In the future take a reading from cooled beer before pitching the yeast. Will tell you your ABV after you have a fg

I always leave my beer in the Primary (no secondary) for three weeks minumum for both full fermentation and to allow the yeast to condition/clean-up the beer before bottling. Look up and follow the 1:2:3: rule

The old 1,2,3 rule is a bit dated at best. It means 1 week primary,2 weeks secondary,3 weeks bottle. They used to fear the autolysis boogieman. We know better now. 3-7 days after a stable FG is reached,however long that takes. Skip secondary unless racking onto something. 3 weeks in the bottles @ 70F minimum to carb & condition.

I concur: no secondary; I even Dry hop in primary... 1,2,3 rule means three weeks in primary (1+2) , and three weeks in bottle for the best beer

Back