First time brew not going to plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewer2014

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to brewing but not new to consuming. Here is what has happened so far and any help would be good.

- i mixed my first batch 5 days ago, it was coopers lager. The actual lager was just about out of date and suger was hard but i thought i'd try it anyway. Intial sg was 1040. now 5 days later it is 1030. temp in primary ferm has been 28-32. unfortunatly i don't have the set up yet to regulate but will soon. So currently their are tiny bubbles rising to some with some froth on top. Their is a bit of white sediment on the bottom and have found 5 floaties ontop which are white on the outside and black in the middle.

Do i drop the temp for a few days with air conditioner and keep an eye on it?

Need help Plz

28-32 what? F or C?

either or, its not good. Reading more into the post, you said drop the temps. yes, drop the temp 65-70f (20-22c)

Instead of using the air conditioner, If you have a Keg Tub or similar large container that your fermenting vessel will fit into. Place the Vessel into the larger container and fill the space between the two containers with water. this will help stabilize your temps with minimal fluctuations. If the water temp is too warm many will reduce the temp with frozen water bottles floating in the water in the outer container. Try searching for swamp cooler here if youre still not sure what I mean.

Back