First time brew and lots of mistakes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtk6006

Reaction score
First off pot wasnt big enough then i spilled grains for blonde ale all over floor so i couldnt used those Think i got wrong hops they were german tettnang(sp) 2 oz worth so i used all of them. Everything else like light malt and sugar and yeast and all was done right though AND then grommit pops off into the bucket so im striring forever Well i think i pretty much screwed up but you have to learn the hard way right? I was just curious if im wasting my time bottling this or will it even resemble beer? It doesnt have to be perfect but something that resembles the taste of a hoppy beer would be nice! Is 4 weeks a good number to go by and i forgot to get hydrometer reading before i put lid on Yeah im dangerous i ruin everything! lol Airlock bubbling and i know yall say that does and does NOT mean anything but something is happening Been going for two days. Atfirst it was really bubbling but now its one bubble every 8 seconds. At first i thoought it was going to perculate! (sp) hahahah Oh well some advice thoughts anything would be great Maybe some reassurance? and how will i know if its safe to drink? I mean if its green i will know not too but smells or anything to look for?

Without the grains,the gravity will be lower. But it depends on what those grains were to tell what their part of the brew was. Sounds like initial fermentation is about done. At that point,the airlock bubbling will slow way down or stop.
But not to worry,that's how it works. It'll slowly ferment down to a stable FG. Use your hydrometer at the 2 week mark to see where it's at. When you get a stable FG. Another 3-7 days to clean up by products & settle out more.

If your floor was relatively clean you could have saved the grains since everything would be boiled afterwards anyway. Lots of people have pushed that grommet into the fermenter and still made beer. I think you will too. Bubbles or the lack of bubbles isn't definitive but the fact that you got a bunch and they are tapering off suggests a good ferment. Just relax and let the yeast alone for a couple weeks (at least that long, longer is probably better) and then use your hydrometer to make sure the fermentation is done before you bottle. Give it a minimum of a week in the bottle before you open one to sample and don't be disappointed if it isn't the most awesome beer you ever drank. It will get better. Try to save a few at least for a month or longer and compare that taste to what the first one tasted like.

^^^ Very sound advice. Take it easy - you made beer. Remember this experience, refine your techniques and get on another batch ASAP, it'll give you more confidence moving forward.

3 weeks at 70F is the minimum to carb/condition bottled beers. But I've found that 4-7 weeks is def better,depending on the brew. Then 1-2 weeks fridge time for good head & carbonation,again depending on gravity & how dark it is,ime.

Thanks guys What im worried about though is i keep reading that german tettnang for aroma but i did read somewhere that two oz for 60 minutes will get the bitering. Is my beer going to have any bitering at all I hate to drink smelly water that gets me drunk lol

Oh and its fermenting at 64 degrees now if it goes up and down is that going to be a problem?

Tettnanger will bitter the beer just fine, if you boiled the 2 oz for 60 minutes. The terms bittering, flavor, and aroma, when used in conjunction with hops, refers to the timing of the addition and how long they are boiled. Bittering hops are usually boiled for the duration- 60 minutes), flavor hops boiled for the last 15-20 minutes, and aroma hops boiled <5minutes (or added at flameout). The types of hops you use are by personal preference and take some experience to get the hang of.

Well since this first time brewing and I might as well ask the question When do i dry hop and how much would you suggest? I was thinking 1 oz cascade hops and 1 oz first gold uk This beer started off as blonde ale but im thinking Frankenstein stale ale might be the better word for it Any thoughts on doing this? I want to let fermit for atleast 6-8 weeks if possible if that helps any for time frames Oh i dunno what im doing or saying lol Should i keep it simple or sink or swim?

Edit and do you have to do a second fermit if dry hopping?

Lets go back to the beginning. You spilled grains on the floor. How much of what kind of grain?

Then you heated up the water to a boil? And put in the malt extract. When did you put the hops in?

Then you chilled the wort and put it in the fermenter bucket and added yeast? When you went to put in the airlock you pushed the grommet into the bucket and spent some time retrieving it. For now it is in the fermenter and you have yeast in there too and the airlock is on. Correct?

Lets go back to the beginning. You spilled grains on the floor. How much of what kind of grain?

Then you heated up the water to a boil? And put in the malt extract. When did you put the hops in?

Then you chilled the wort and put it in the fermenter bucket and added yeast? When you went to put in the airlock you pushed the grommet into the bucket and spent some time retrieving it. For now it is in the fermenter and you have yeast in there too and the airlock is on. Correct?

correct i dunno what kind of grains i threw bag away And yes i found grommet and everything is on there correct and functioning correctly Just took me a few minutes to find it Just no grains Put hops in lil bit after malt was liquid state and blended in well I put sugar in abut same time as malt also Then steeped the hops for about 60-70 minutes It wasnt a raging boil though BUT it was right before boil is that bad? Should i open up and take a peak and get a smell of it before i waste 8 weeks?

Edit Ok i opened it to see and theres foam on top not a bunch but some and it kinda smells like baking bread Good or bad? Smells kinda like REALLY! strong beer

Back