first time bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcomito

Reaction score
Hey there,
We recently brewed our first batch of beer. It has been in the carboy for about a month. We did a gravity check and it was still a bit out of range, so we let it sit. Now we would like to bottle it and brew another batch. How long should we let it set in the bottle before enjoying in a cold glass?

The general consensus around here is 3 weeks at 70 degrees will give most beers enough time to carbonate and condition. If you absolutely have to try it before then (I know the feeling :D ) see if you can wait it out two weeks, then put it in the fridge for about 48 hours. I wouldn't personally pour into too cold of a glass either, room temp glass with a cold beer is just fine.

Congratulations, and welcome to the hobby :mug:

lowtones84 said:
The general consensus around here is 3 weeks at 70 degrees will give most beers enough time to carbonate and condition. If you absolutely have to try it before then (I know the feeling :D ) see if you can wait it out two weeks, then put it in the fridge for about 48 hours. I wouldn't personally pour into too cold of a glass either, room temp glass with a cold beer is just fine.

Congratulations, and welcome to the hobby :mug:

Thanks for the advice. Today is bottling day. Three weeks huh? Well we'll do our best:)

Well we made it. 51 plus a sample. I have a wine chiller that when turned off holds at 70 degrees. I turned it to 1 on the dial and overnight it is holding at 60. I turned it to just before 0 to see where it will go. What temp is ideal for a pale ale?

I don't think style matters all that much for carbonating/bottle conditioning. Perhaps I'm wrong, but pale ales are pretty standard and right around 70 should be just fine. If it's cooler than that it will just take a little longer.

Back