First time, and I hope this isn't infection...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbauer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know I've come across an infection related post before...but I cant find it so I hope its ok to just post here. I just recently got into brewing. I bought an extract kit and equipment to do my first beer next week, but in the mean time I started a cider because I was told it was more forgiving since it had less steps. I am 72 hours in, and everything appeared to be going great. Solid bubbles from the airlock every 4-5 seconds (in a 1 gallon carboy that I bought the apple juice in.

This evening however I realized something new. Up near the neck of the container are a few small spots. My guess is that maybe they are just colonies of yeast? I just hope its yeast and not bacteria or mold or something that shouldn't be there. None of them are physically touching the actual cider.

(see the picture below, the spots are right up by the bung.....sorry its so hard to see....the spots look dark in the picture but they are actually white....I couldnt get my camera to take a good picture)

I just wanted to know if this is something I should be worried about or not. I am sure its just me freaking out and overreacting, however better safe than sorry. I figured that if there is some way to clean it or take care of it before it becomes a problem, I should look into it. But then again, it could just be normal.

Any help for this noob would be appreciated! You all have already been such a great help! Thanks :)

IMAG0658.jpg

Did you use dry yeast and just sprinkle it in? Because that looks like a few grains of dry yeast that stuck to the neck of the carboy and have rehydrated/started to grow.

^ that is most likely the case. I've done it and that's what it looks like.

Back