First time all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austinco2

Reaction score
Built my mash tun last weekend and I've been hankerin' to give it a go all week long. I've been excited about all grain ever since I first started brewing but today was my first opportunity.

Scottish 80 shilling:

6 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb. Munich Malt
0.5 lb. Honey Malt
1 lb. Crystal 120L
1 oz. Pale Chocolate Malt 350L(I think that is what the store had, I forget now, the plan was 2 oz Pale Chocolate 200l so I figured 1/2 should work since it's only there for color anyway)

0.40 oz. UK TARGET

So, Got the the fire lit under the strike water about 8:50 threw it in the tun with the grains by 9:10 and missed my target mash temp of 158(A bit high I know but I wanted to get good body out of it) My strike water was 170 but after I mixed them together I was only at 150. Heated up 2 more quarts of water to 200 and then put that In and it brought me up to 159. Now that's more like it. I had a total of 3 gal of water at that point. Left that to sit for an hour while I went down to the shop to buy my 3rd hydrometer(it is getting rediculious, Do you think they'll cut me a deal If I buy in bulk? lol Just kidding) Got back did my Vorlofted and first runnings by 10:20 checked the gravity just for fun and it was a temp adjusted 1.089. Did a Batch sparge for about 20 min, into the kettle it went and then I was off to a boil. Decided to eat some beer soaked hotdogs while that heated up and boiled for a few min and proceded to do my very first BOIL OVER!!!!! I probably only lost a quart or so I was nearby. I got that calmed down and then threw my only hop addition in. The wort coolers had me down to 85 by 1:00 and I had everything cleaned up and pitched the yeast by 1:30. I was a tad under 5 gal but after dumping the starter in it pushed it a bit over.

OG 1.045
Est FG 1.012

So How'd I do? First all grain brew day in just under 5 hours. Not bad I thought.

The recipe I originally had was a scottish 60 shilling and it called for 4lb of maris otter however I didn't know what my effeciency would be like so I decided to play it safe since this was such a small beer and bump it by 2lb for this recipe the worst that could happen is it would go from a 60 to an 80 shilling. And that is what happened.

Welcome to the club! The All Grain Club!

The first taste will forever change the way you look at homebrew!

There are some extra considerations, but it is totally worth it. Use extract on big beers to cut down on the amount of grain you need to add to a full mashtun (unless you have an extra 20 gallon kettle sitting around). Otherwise, enjoy the all-grain. It is a lot of fun.

Back