First time a lot of mistakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnsey

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Saturday and made a few mistakes. 1. Forgot to clean kettle. 2. Forgot to sanitize scissors for yeast 3. Pitched at 85 f*. 4. Couldn't cool down for 3-4 hours. Just want to know if the beer will be ok. A few pictures it has a white film and want to know if it's normal. Thanks! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411609152.661282.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411609173.939881.jpg

Doesnt look scary to me. Out of curiosity what do you mean by forgot to clean your kettle? Anything bateria wise would have died during the boil.

Hmm. I think you will be fine. What was wort doing for 3-4 hours? Why so long to cool? Not cleaning kettle is not so bad as its pre boil. 85 degrees pitching is fine, and don't stress sbout the scissors. My concern is the lengthy cool time. My gut says you will be Ok

Are those pics down the mouth of a carboy? Unique perspective- I like it!
And yes they look normal for early stage fermentation.
Depending on the yeast strain you used, 85 is high, especially in the critical 1st 48 hours, but any damage to your flavor has been done. Make sure you leave it on the yeast for 2-3 weeks to give the yeast as much time as they can use to clean things up. Granted, most of the 'cleanup' happens in just a couple days, but even though they may look like they're dormant, the yeast are still metabolically active, so give them all the advantages they need. It may not be the best beer you can make, but it still should be pretty darn good. I remember my 1st batch- I made many mistakes and it still turned out to be the best beer ever, and hooked me well and good into this obsession. The yeast are forgiving of our mistakes.

Looks like a normal krausen beginning to form, and based on the above, many brewers have made the same mistakes and still turned out a good beer in the end. Just keep an eye on things and read up on infected batches to have a baseline to compare yours to. Cheers!

First, check that you have all your limbs, vision and family members. If so, then you are doing OK. If the beer turns out bad, just brew another batch.

Back