First temperature-controlled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As deeply discussed in this thread, DYI fermentation chamber, I constructed a fermentation chamber from a used water cooler as a lock-down project. This thread is about the first brew I attempted with the fermentation chamber.

Early TLDR - It worked.

So I targeted an American strong ale profile in BeerSmith and added whatever I had on the floor. So the recipe is probably not a proper strong ale.

Recipe came out as follows and was BIAB medium body profile.

5.5kg Chateau Pale Ale.
1kg Weyermann Munich II
0.75kg BestMalz Caramel Hell.
30g Amarillo - 60 minutes
30g Southern Promise - 60 minutes
25g Citra 10 minutes
25g Citra 15 minute whirlpool at 72°C

Fermented with Safeale American US-05

Was supposed to come out at 1.070 OG, but only hit about 1.059 or so at the end. I think I didn't let the bag drain enough and lost some sugars and ended up with a higher volume into the fermenter than predicted by BeerSmith. Not too concerned about, just need to figure out the equipment a bit more. I did change the boil element in the electric urn I use as a boil kettle and the boil-off profile is different.

Loaded 25 liters into the fermenter and set the fermentation chamber for a 19°C fermentation, followed by a drop to 18°C later.

beerbrew.JPG

Tilt gravity and temperature plot image

Fermentation went pretty well, no blow offs or any problems and hit a decent 1.009 FG with the hydrometer sample tasting and smelling pretty decently. Bottled 21.56 liters (49 440ml bottles) with enough priming sugar to target 2.1 volumes of carbonation. The beer was pretty hazy out of the fermenter despite four days of gelatin fining and hasn't cleared up very much.

First couple of bottles after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning were chilled and cracked yesterday and today. It came out pretty decently, no hot alcohol tastes or off flavours, which is more than I can say for some of the other summer fermented beers I've done in hot weather. Bitterness is good and the Citra aroma and flavour is strong.

In conclusion, the fermentation chamber worked and I am definitely in agreement that temperature control makes a major difference in the beers I brew.

icypatch.jpg

Latest posts

Back