First Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
Just opened a bottle of West Coast Pale ale for the mr beer kit, now the PET bottle was rock hard after 5 days, if i let the other stand for a few mor days before opening them will the flavor change? Since it was opened after 5 days not seven, the beer was good but i feel it could have been better!

compact007 said:
Just opened a bottle of West Coast Pale ale for the mr beer kit, now the PET bottle was rock hard after 5 days, if i let the other stand for a few mor days before opening them will the flavor change? Since it was opened after 5 days not seven, the beer was good but i feel it could have been better!

I don't think that is a beer that will change much over time due to the pretty simple recipe. It doesn't have a lot of flavors that need time to blend together. I have a bottle of the West Coast Pale Ale that has been sitting for about 4 months that I will try when my father in law comes in on the 13th. I will let you know then if I thought that letting it lager for a while made a difference.

I have located the flavor and i feel it is a cider taste, im guessing i didnt let the fermentation finish totally since i just realized that the room where the beer keg was in was cooler then i thought. Does this make sence?

Did your kit have you add table sugar? If so then that can cause a "cidery" taste. If not then sometimes off flavors can be imparted to your beer by not fermenting at the reccomended temperature or not keeping a consistent fermentation temp. But, even still if you perceive a cidery taste then let the beer age for a week or two and sometimes off flavors will diminish or subside with time.

And if that doesn't work, then just tell your freinds that it is a cider.

My work is finished here. Quick to the brew mobile!

I agree with the Professor. If you made a Mr. Beer mix with the Booster additive, the Booster adds a cidery taste. I doubt that it will subside with time. For your next beer, do an all-malt beer. It will eliminate the cidery flavor.

Back