First taste of my homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I just couldn't wait any longer. I brewer a red ale brewers best kit the last week of june, ferement 12 days in primary a week in secondary with gelatin and it has been 2.5 weeks in the bottles. I dropped one in the fridge at lunch and just couldnt help my self last night.

It was really good, better than I thought I could make. I was carbed fairly well, I think another week would help it, but if thats all it carbed I would be happy. I was real carefull pouring it, as I didnt want to stir up any of the sediment. I poured really slow so I didnt get much of a head on it. The next one Ill pour a bit faster and see what I get. It cleared really well I used Irish moss and gelatin. The color was a nice amber, nice aroma, and a clean red beer taste, no off flavors at all ( for my first I was really surprized).

I poured the beer, took a picture (which I wll post later), then took my first sip. The family asked how it was and I think I was too exited to taste it, so I had to take another sip. It was really good.

I let my wife try it next. Shes not a beer drinker, if she does have a beer its a mic ultra and thats maybe once or twice a year. She smelled it and says "well it smell like beer", takes a cautious sip, then says " its actually pretty good, then takes a few more swigs. She has supportive of this hobby and actually bought me the kit when I asked for it, but I think she was leary of how it would turn out.

The conversation quickly turned to what was next as I dont think this one is going to last long. I think we decided on a vinilla cream ale.

I have some edworts ready to be bottled next weekend also.

Life is good...:D

I didnt expect her to like it just because it was a red beer, so it was a double compliment.

Yeah Im thinking its a good idea I didnt load the fridge up with them yet. I only put a few in.

I may turn her around yet. She had a taste of the "Great Lakes Brewing - Edmund Fitzgerald" i was drinking last week and said that was pretty good too. I highly recomend that beer.

You are lucky. My first batch was an amber ale made from a kit that come with the equipment. It had only one little bag of hops to add at the beginning. The weather turned cooler right after I made it, so I had a stuck fermentation for a while. It turned into ale that is starting to be just ok after four weeks in bottles. My second batch, however, a Sierra Nevada-style pale ale made with ingredients I got at my LHBS, is quite nice after only two weeks in bottles. I actually like it better than Sierra Nevada. Better ingredients and better brewing process make a better brew. If the second one had turned out like the first, I might have given up. As it is, I have a Belgian Pale Ale and a Saison in fermenters now.

Congratulations on a good first attempt!

John

I had worries all throughout the process. I couldnt get a boil going on our electric stove, the airlock took way to long to start bubbling, I didnt like that I couldnt see in the bucket. It didnt taste good as I was bottling it. But in the end it was great. When they say relax and have a homebrew, listen to them.

Here is a pic of the brew with the back lighting it looks alot lighter than it is.

>

I don't worry about the sediment in my beers, i think it adds a little flavor! You will probably drink them all in a week or so, but if you can leave a bottle in the fridge for three weeks it will get rid of the chill haze and with the moss and gelatin you will have a crystal clear beer. oh and congrats!:rockin:

Its crystal clear right now and is fully carbed up now.

Ive been testing it daily. :D

Which mean Im going to need to brew again soon.

Thats ok. I still need to buy some beer, so I can get more empty bottles. Plus I have an apflewein ready to be bottled.

Im thinking about brewing a german altbier this weekend.

That looks great in the pic, congrats!

I also like to buy a six pack here and there to:
1) let my own condition longer,
2) save the bottles.

I have about 50 bottles being used for this batch, about another 50 for the apfelwein that is about to be bottled. I figure another 50 or so and I should be good. I plan on buying a kegging system in the next year, so the need for bottles is temporary. Ill still bottle some, but probably not nearly as much.

Yeah I figure it will allow me too brew more and "age" a few from each batch a little longer.

Back