First taste of my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlg5150

Reaction score
Okay, I bottled 7 days ago. My first brew was the Coopers "lager" from the Coopers DIY kit. Since this is my first time, I decided to see how things were going and stick one in the fridge. I put it in this morning and tasted tonight. I was worried that my beer wasn't carbonating good because all the bottles still have a good bit of give to them. This beer was in fact carbonated. Only slightly, though (about like a Red Bull).

I figure another week or two and they should be done. The beer doesn't taste like much, though. I was expecting this seeing as how it consisted of 1 can of extract and one bag of suga... I mean Brew Enhancer. Oh, well, at least I've now kicked off my brewing career.

It's still a little yeasty tasting. There was a little bit of sediment but I can definitely see yeast still floating around even after being in the fridge all day. I'm curious about one thing, though. The beer is leaving a really slick/oily feeling in my mouth. Is this from the yeast still floating around? It doesn't taste bad or anything. It's hard to describe since I don't usually drink beers like this. It's watery and slightly fruity (and still a little yeasty).

Anyway, just thought I'd share. :D

This was the first kit I made as well so dont worry, sounds like your right on track with how mine turned out. Wait another 2 weeks and that green apple flavor will be gone (young beer sometimes has that taste)

I drank 1 every week from the bottling date and a didnt really get good head till 3+ weeks. Took about another week for the yeasty taste to fade as well.

You are not pouring the yeast into a a glass with the beer are you? If so just leave the last half inch in the bottle, that could be giving you that slick/oily feeling.

Congrats! I went stright from that kit to all grain.

Week 2 tasting.

100% better than week 1. Fruity taste is still there but isn't tart like it was last week. No yeasty taste and the oily feeling is less prominent.

It's carbonated but goes flat pretty quick and doesn't pour a head even with a vigorous pour. Only leaves a small layer of white bubbles that dissipate quick. Only about 3 or 4 of the bottles are "tight", as in I can tell they're carbonating. These bottles also have a noticeable amount of yeast on the bottom. However, the rest of the bottles still feel just like when I bottled and have little to no yeast on the bottom.

Is this normal? I used 2 Coopers carbonation drops per bottle.

I brewed that one too,as it came with my micro brew kit. It took 3 weeks for decent head & carbonation. 4-5 weeks & it was good. Pics in my gallery. I also had to make sure all the screw on caps were tight after filling & capping them all. Went back over all 30 bottles & got another 1/4 turn on them. They have to be really tight to seal.
And that fruity taste on the back is common to ale yeasts. Lower temps are supposed to lessen them. We'll find out when my latest batch of APA is ready.

Well, it would be silly to receive a kit as a gift and not use what came with it.

That's why I suggested using priming sugar for your next batch, then you can decide which you liked more and use that for your future batches..

Remember, carbonation and head are 2 different things, which takes some folks a time to realize. Are you just losing the head quick, or are there no bubbles coming up through the beer after you pour?

Remember, a Lager tends to have little to no head retention. Give them another week. More stuff (yeast, hops gunk, etc.) will drop out over time, and especially if it is in the fridge. Make sure to pour slow and careful, and leave the last bit in the bottle. Once you start getting the gunk then stop pouring. Figure you know this ,but if not then it will taste all the better.

Oh, and congrats on the first brew!

I can't wait for the day that I crack a brew I've been waiting on and it's just perfect!

[ame="http://youtu.be/70Ak4nW1Rg8"]http://youtu.be/70Ak4nW1Rg8[/ame]

Back