First taste of first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul23

Reaction score
So I'm new to homebrewing, I'm going away for the next 3 days so I had to take a hydro reading on my 2 first brews before I go. My first brew is 11 days in primary. My second brew is 9 days in primary. I want to retake the hydro reading when I get back.

My first brew is a Irish ale extract. OG 1.042, my test as of now 1.012 after 11 days and still bubbling. Wow it was good. Warm and flat but ouuwee. Tasted great. When I get back, it's going in the secondary for 2 more weeks, then bottle for 2 weeks but wow it was gooooood!!!!

My second brew is a couple days after my 1st. It's a raspberry wheat ale. It's not done fermenting but boy was it good and it still has days left to ferment. It's not done yet. OG was 1.052 and as of now is 1.018 and still bubbling. A little sweet but real good flavor and it's not done yet.

Both air locks are still bubbling after removing them and taking a reading. I'm gonna let them ferment out before going to secondary. I have fresh frozen raspberries for my 2ndary.

I'm happy as of tasting theese beers for the first time since I brewed them and they did not taste good then. As soon as I move theese to 2ndary, I have a pumpkin ale next and my first shot at my owne recipe for a double IPA. I want something strong haha.

Thanks for all the help and info bc wow that Irish red was good and only after 11 days. In 4 more weeks it's gonna be incredible!!!

PS both batches were done with full boil method and extract kits.

You can skip the secondary on the Irish if you want, no real need for it. With the fruit addition, the secondary is a good way to go...happy brewing

The only reason I don't want to skip it is bc I want to brew again. If I can rack to secondary it will free up my primary :)

Thanks though.

What helibrewer is meaning is you if FG is stable go ahead and bottle the Irish red,then you could still use the primary and have bottles conditioning.

For about $15 and a stop at the LHBS you can have an empty fermenter. ;)

You shouldn't ever move your beer to secondary until your gravity stops changing and if it has stopped you can simply bottle unless you want to add something like fruit. Then it is better to secondary but even fruit in the primary wouldn't be bad.

Thanks guys for the info.

Its not gonna hurt anything to rack the amber ale to secondary right? I know to be careful and sanitary and keep the beer from oxigenating. But as long as I'm care full won't it be a good thing to sit in there for a week or so b4 bottling?

well, it just opens you up for contamination and infection. Why not just leave it in the primary and start your new batch in your "secondary"? Really, they are both primaries. The only time you will really need a secondary is if you are racking on top of fruit or something. You will find around here that the consensus is to leave it be and rack it only to your bottling bucket and bottle. But...it's your beer. Secondary wont hurt you unless it gets infected.

well, it just opens you up for contamination and infection. Why not just leave it in the primary and start your new batch in your "secondary"? Really, they are both primaries

Well I have 2 hom brew starter kits and they come with a 6 gal PRI and 5 gal sec so I can't ferment in my secondary.

Lol I have a blow off tube but idk... so u guys think when my Irish red is done fermenting I should bottle it instead of letting it age a bit in 2nd dary? And if so how long should I bottle for. I was thinking of 2-3weeks. Would that change since i wouldn't be using a secondary?

Okay here's my situation as of now, hope I did the right thing.

I was going to bottle my first batch 13 days in primary. Og 1.042 fg 1.012. Fermentation done. When I move my primary to my table to siphon out I noticed stuff floating on the bottom. I put the airlock on and let it settle. After a few min it started bubbling again. About 1 bubble every second. I did not want to bottle it like that so I racked it to secondary.

Bubbling has slowed way down maybe I should have bottled it but was nervous to make 2 cases of beer bombs.

I'll bottle it in a couple days.

Thanks.

If it's bubbling every 1 second, even after you stir it up a bit by moving it, I'd definately say wait a few more days at least.

Thanks that's what I'm planning. It hasen't shown any sign of activity in about 4 days until now. But better safe the blowing up right? Lol. In a few days I'll bottle it. Glad to hear I did the right thing.

Made my 3rd batch today too. A double ipa that I made the recipe on. We shall see how it turns out. OG was 1.096 yeahya. I wanted something strong!

Thanks for your help on my Irish red!!

I was going to bottle my first batch 13 days in primary. Og 1.042 fg 1.012. Fermentation done. When I move my primary to my table to siphon out I noticed stuff floating on the bottom. I put the airlock on and let it settle. After a few min it started bubbling again. About 1 bubble every second. I did not want to bottle it like that so I racked it to secondary.

Bubbling has slowed way down maybe I should have bottled it but was nervous to make 2 cases of beer bombs.

Thanks.

Probably a good idea to check your FG again. There's a good chance it hasn't dropped any and the bubbles you saw were just CO2 getting off-gassed. If that's the case you should be good to bottle. If it has dropped any it'd be advisable to check FG again in another couple, or few, days to see if it's stabilised.

lespaul23 said:

Thanks.

Let it sit in secondary for a week. Your not hurting nothing and only going to make it better with age and help it clear. I ALWAYS do a secondary for atleast a weak if not two sometimes. Cheers and I hope the beer comes out good. Great people on here with a lot of knowledge.

I actually didn't have the time. I went away for the holidays so I used 2 packs of 11.5g US 05 that I re hydrated. It should be enough. It's already bubbling like crazy 24hrs after pitching. It's got a half inch of foam on the top too. It looks good. Only time will tell.

And yes I like big beers. :drunk:

Back