First taste (1 week)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Ok, I kinda gave in to the noob temptation, but I was curious to see how the beer would come out to be after just one week in a bottle. I have previously opened a bottle after 2 weeks and it has come out quite good I must admit (considering it was still green). However, I opened up a London Porter I had had in a bottle for just 1 week. My first impression was, no head (no head at all, 0 head). I'm guessing this is due to the fact that their wasn't really any carbonation due to the really short period of time. I just want to clarify my doubts. I know I'm probably paranoid and I probably shouldn't have popped the bottle so early, but I was expecting there to be at least a little bit of head.

Bad n00b! Bad, bad n00b!!! Be patient!:D

Yes, 1 week in the bottle is a bit early, so your carbonation is going to be low. you should have some carbonation by now, but not near enough to get that frothy delicious looking head that we all know, love, and lust for after a long day.

RDWHAHB!:mug:

temp? try to condition it at a slightly higher temp, it should carbonate faster. but frm what i read, you are talking about head right, not carbonation.

lol! Yeah, but you can't blame me for trying. I mean, it was all in the name of research and future reference. Who knows, maybe I will be the one answering one of these n00b question one of these days, and yes, I do love and lust that delicious looking head. Ever since I started drinking non BMC beer, I have always been looking forward to that creamy looking head that just makes my taste buds crazy. So yeah, I was a little disappointed, but now I know. PROST!:mug:

temp? try to condition it at a slightly higher temp, it should carbonate faster. but frm what i read, you are talking about head right, not carbonation.

Yeah, my main concern was head because I did hear that beautiful noise of CO2 once I popped the cap. The carbonation was very low, but I am hoping it will get better, as well as the head. Right now the current temp is around 60. It usually goes up to 65 Fahrenheit during the day and drops to 60 at night.

After one week, I've never had anything *but* what you've described. Two weeks is kind of early too (although my latest IPA was decent at 1 1/2 weeks).

I wouldn't worry. Try it again at 2, 3, and 4 weeks (by 4, it will be a different beer than at 1). Try to save some for tasting longer than 4 weeks.

After one week, I've never had anything *but* what you've described. Two weeks is kind of early too (although my latest IPA was decent at 1 1/2 weeks).

I wouldn't worry. Try it again at 2, 3, and 4 weeks (by 4, it will be a different beer than at 1). Try to save some for tasting longer than 4 weeks.

Thanks. Will do. Good thing I still have some APA to enjoy in the meanwhile :tank:

Another thing you should do is brew again! The more beer you brew, the easier it is to let it age properly before tapping into it. I am currently running low myself, but I hope to do a fair amount of brewing over this next month.

Another thing you should do is brew again! The more beer you brew, the easier it is to let it age properly before tapping into it. I am currently running low myself, but I hope to do a fair amount of brewing over this next month.

+1 on that. I have to get my hands on more bottles and get my brew on:ban:

Latest posts

Back