First Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtwarren1966

Reaction score
My Pilsner went from 1.050 to 1.020 and is stuck there. Now what to do, pitched some more yeast and upped the temp to 56 degrees and have a little fermentation going on now, maybe 1 bubble per minute.

That's enough yeast for sure and you should be finishing lower even if your mash temp was high. How long has it been fermenting for? BTW, there is a good chance the bubbles you are seeing is gas expansion from the temp increase along with CO2 coming out of solution.

Yes plenty of yeast, It has been fermenting now for 9 days. My mash was like this, 20 min at 122, 30 min at 145, 30 min at 158, mashout at 168. I'm thinking I racked to secondary too quick, thats why I pitched another pack of yeast yesterday. Here is another question, should I wait until completely finished before I bring down to lagering temps?

So I ramped it up to 65. I'm getting a bubble thru the airlock about once every 1 1/2 minutes. I'll let it sit at that temp until it stops then I'll run it down for lagering.

So I ramped it up to 65. I'm getting a bubble thru the airlock about once every 1 1/2 minutes. I'll let it sit at that temp until it stops then I'll run it down for lagering.

I'd leave it even longer than that. If you've already racked, you've skipped the diacetyl rest. You probably need one. I'd go ahead and try a diacetyl rest anyway after fermentation is done, by simply letting it sit until it's been at FG a couple of days at room temperature.

Next time, do NOT rack until after the diacetyl rest is completed!

Actually I did a diacetyl rest when it was around 1.022 at 60 degrees for 2 days while still in primary, then I racked and it stuck at 1.020.

Actually I did a diacetyl rest when it was around 1.022 at 60 degrees for 2 days while still in primary, then I racked and it stuck at 1.020.

there is your problem, you didn't let it finish. If you racking too soon you not just halting fermentation you getting your beer off the yeast and yeast is required to remove any diacetyl. I made same error with my first 2 lagers, I racked too early, was impatiant, they attenuated good but both were diacetyl bombs. Next time leave it at room temp for a week.

.Apart from language obstacles, anyone at any location on the planet can access details about your services or products.<br />
<br />
Internet advertising shouldn't be approached inside a vacuum.Rather, it ought to be one component of a comprehensive Web marketing strategy.Even though popularity from the Internet is rising extremely, it is difficult so that you can gage the actual impact with advertising on the web.<br />
<br />
The range of costs to advertise on the web can deviate greatly.It is advisable to compare numerous highly-frequented sites to determine the easiest method to spend a advertising bucks.You must research your options and choose to go for an established firm.<br />
An effective advertising marketing will inevitably wind up bringing you a swarm of visitors to your online shop, your website that's

Back