First Stout Recipe - Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I want to brew a Milk Stout soon but wanted a fairly simple recipe. I was going to do the Left Hand clone that's on here but didn't want to convert it to extract. The beer recipe for this week over at the Homebrewer's Association just happened to be a Milk Stout from Jamil's book. For my version I decreased the Black Patent and increased the Chocolate Malt. I'm also thinking about adding 4oz of Cocoa Powder a the end of the boil. How does it look?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1649625

I have the exact all grain recipe in my fermentor right now and hydro samples taste great (like coffe with a little creamer almost) per the orignal recipe. Goes into bottles this weekend. I personally would leave the Black Patent and Chocolate malt per the recipe, I think it's a good balance. The cocoa powder does sound like a tasty addition though.

I have the exact all grain recipe in my fermentor right now and hydro samples taste great (like coffe with a little creamer almost) per the orignal recipe. Goes into bottles this weekend. I personally would leave the Black Patent and Chocolate malt per the recipe, I think it's a good balance. The cocoa powder does sound like a tasty addition though.

Ok, I switched the Black Patent and Chocolate Malt back to the recommended amounts. I'll keep the cocoa powder and let you know how it goes.

Anyone think adding some cinnamon in the primary, after fermentation would be a good idea? This is my inspiration and was discontinued awhile ago.

HD_MayanChoc_E_May10.gif

I used a Brewer's Best milk stout kit, and added 1 lb of dark soft candi sugar. 1lb of cocoa powder would do well, too. It came out phenomenal!

When doing an extra cocoa powder addition, be mindful about it being unsweetened and very bitter. A good rule of thumb is to balance every 1oz of extra unsweetened cocoa powder with 2oz of lactose.

You can also try the AHS Left Hand Milk Stout clone. I have brewed it a couple of times and it is pretty tasty.

You can also try the AHS Left Hand Milk Stout clone. I have brewed it a couple of times and it is pretty tasty.

Mmmmmm. Left Hand makes a dandy Milk Stout Nitro. We're fortunate to have it available locally on tap and bottles in the stores.

Wasn't a huge fan.. too much coffee and the lactose balance seemed a little off (not enough) for a milk stout. The pour instructions on the bottle leave the beer virtually flat. To each hisnown.. just wasn't what I expected.

Wasn't a huge fan.. too much coffee and the lactose balance seemed a little off (not enough) for a milk stout. The pour instructions on the bottle leave the beer virtually flat. To each hisnown.. just wasn't what I expected.

I haven't had it out of the bottle yet, but on tap (pushed with beer gas through a foamer faucet), it's really nice.

BTW- do you go to the Saturday noon-3 tasting at No Label Brewing? My son and I got by there on June 29 and had a nice time meeting the owners and the brewmaster. Their Ridgeback amber is one of my favs.

Agreed on the nitro version, but I really enjoy the "regular" MS :mug:

Back