First starter with stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGeek

Reaction score
So I pitched a starter for my lager yesterday, the first starter I've made using the stirplate I just bought, and I have to tell you it made an incredible difference. Not a small or inconsequential difference, a HUGE and amazing difference.

The yeast multiplied like crazy and were very visible in suspension after less than a day. I had active fermentation within hours. I'm used to about 6-12 hours lag time. I had maybe 3-4 hours with this particular starter. Pretty impressive. Time will tell if it makes any difference in the finished product, but so far, I'm happy.

In case anyone's interested the stirplate I bought is made specifically for homebrewers and only runs $40 new. I found mine on Bell's website.

A 12 hr lag time is pretty typical even with a starter when the correct amount of yeast is pitched. A lag time of 3-4 h indicates that it was over pitched.

I did some research and you are right, I did over pitch! I'll have to watch that in the future.

The stirplate still did a great job preparing that starter though. Hehe, that was more the point I was trying to make!

I did some research and you are right, I did over pitch! I'll have to watch that in the future.

The stirplate still did a great job preparing that starter though. Hehe, that was more the point I was trying to make!

I agree about the stir plate. I think it was one of the best investments I made for my brew gear.

Yeah, sj's probably right. A stir plate can increase your yeast count three fold plus. See this great article on the effectiveness of stir plates. From said article...
image002.gif

Back