First Souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ungoliant

Reaction score
Okay so I'm attempting to sour an Old Ale with some bottle dregs. The Old Ale finished fermentation at 1.024

I figured separating in to different gallons would be a better way to go, so I can package the rest of the beer as per usual with no issues. So, taking that in to consideration, I picked up a bottle of something that I know has good cultures in it (WW Amorous) and put that in one. I also had a Kammen Knuddeln from Against the Grain, and so I'm gonna see what happens in another.

All that being said, how long does it typically take Brett/lacto/pedio to start doing their thing?

I emailed Wicked Weed to verify which Brett/bacteria is present in their beer, because I couldn't find any specific info on the mix, though Mad Fermentationist says it has both Brett and bacteria. I couldn't find any info on Kamen Knuddeln, though.

[Update/Clarification] This Old Ale has already finished fermentation, at 1.024 FG, after which I have added the dregs to each pictured gallon.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452217347.607609.jpg

Honestly, the dregs need wort with an OG of about 1.020 and a stir plate to really get going since they have been dormant for so long. Doing it this way, and then adding 1.040 wort after a few days, it takes me about a week to get a vigorous fermentation.

Well, I should mention I added the dregs after fermentation was complete. The Old Ale finished at 1.024.

I usually see some light activity in a week or two with dregs. Of course, it depends on the dregs and the beer. That old ale would probably be great with some brett character! How many IBU? I wouldn't count on it getting sour for a long time, if ever.

I got 45 IBUs out of it, which is right in the middle for the style. I shot for that so I don't have to age it quite as long, but still have the freedom to age it a while. I just bottled 1.5 gallons of it, un-soured, to compare to the 2 soured gallons once they're "done."

I'm okay waiting on these for a while.

Checked on them this evening. No pellicle, though there's also not much headspace. However, there's definitely some activity already. So, that's good news.

UPDATE: Sorry for the necropost.

So, I bottled the Amorous soured Old Ale today. The Knuddeln didn't end up being that good so I decided not to let it go all the way (besides, a true Kentucky Common is kettle soured, and wouldn't have any bugs in it anyhow). Along the way, I added hungarian oak cubes. FG was 1.013, finishing it out at a nice 10.5%. It's surprisingly smooth for a 10% beer. It's tart, slightly oaky, with a subtle, malty finish. I'm more than satisfied, and will likely reuse the cubes in this for another batch in the future (for the bugs). Now to wait for it to carbonate.

Only question here is, I didn't add fresh yeast, and it's been souring since January, but it had some left over S-05 in there when I racked it...How long should I expect this one to take to carbonate?

Only question here is, I didn't add fresh yeast, and it's been souring since January, but it had some left over S-05 in there when I racked it...How long should I expect this one to take to carbonate?
after 6 months, high alcohol and low pH, very little if any of the US-05 is going to be viable. unlikely that it will be able to carbonate.

however, you've got brett in there from the Amorous. brett will carbonate, but it could take a month or even two. there is a chance it could develop THP, an off-flavor described as "cheerios" or "mouse taint". if that happens, give it another few months to age out. i almost never add sacch to my bottle-conditioned sours and brett beers and they always carb up just fine with time.

Back