First Sour Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hhudgeons

Reaction score
Since I have been brewing for several years, I do not believe myself to be a beginner in brewing; I am a beginner in brewing certain styles. So I need a little advice in brewing my first sour. I have made a small batch strawberry ale, hoping for a sour in 18 + months. I have already brewed my all grain batch and fermented the first time with a regular ale yeast. I have just racked to another container for the second fermentation. My yeast of choice...Wyeast 3763 Roeselare.

Ok, so when this yeast arrived at my door it was a little warm and appeared to have been activated partially. I put in the refrigerator and decided to wait until it was ready in a week or so to open and re-evaluate. A week later I looked into the yeast package. It appeared that one side of the activator had been used, the other side was still intact. I tried to use the other side of the activator but the yeast didn't appear to have much bloat. Since, this was a small batch I thought that the yeast and/or bacteria would still work with this brew. I am glad I decided to take this project on a small scale.

It has been three days. What should I expect for this yeast on a 2nd fermentation? I do not see any activity as of yet. What kind of things do I need to look for? Do I need to get a new yeast packet? Besides the obvious, what would you have done to the slap pack yeast if you found it the way I did?

I have only used Wyeast's lambic blend, but I didn't experience any swelling of the pack, either. I doubt you have a problem there.

What was your gravity going into secondary? You might only see a small amount of rising bubbles, or you might see a fully active second fermentation, depending on how much sugar was left in the beer and how viable your culture was.

Thank you for your feedback. Starting gravity was 1.65 and 1.1 was the gravity upon 2nd fermentation.

Back