First Solo all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbGator

Reaction score
Today I did my first solo all grain. I have to say it turned out pretty well. I got 70.5% efficiency which is ok, but I just bough a grain mill and don't have the measurement thing so I went with the factory settings. I will be picking up the measurement tool. What should I set it at to give me 75% or above. I know just setting that won't give me it, but where would I have the best shot? Its nice having the keggles and using one to put the mash tun on top of so that gravity can force my wort into the boil kettle. I also use a huge muslin bag that allowed me to put all 12.25 pounds of grain in the mash tun and not really have to worry about clean up, just lift the bag out and I'm done. I hit 1.053 post boil which was what I was aiming for so overall today was a good brew. I also made some spent grain treats for the dog. :drunk:

You mean a feeler gauge?

You should be able to pick up a set at any automotive parts store.

So far as a gap setting...well that gets a bit tricky and really depends on a lot of factors. I have gone as low as .019" when doing malt conditioning, but boy does my arm get tired from hand-cranking on that setting. And you almost assuredly wouldn't want to go that tight if you don't condition your malt first, as you'll shred the husks. More typically I will go around .031"

Back