First small batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
This will be my first batch of mead and Im very excited to get started. I have 5lbs. raw wildflower honey and some left-over clover. My plan is to use 3lbs. of the wildflower, and finish it off with the clover honey (about 8oz.). I think mint would be great with it. But, how I would go about adding it to my mead? I'm only making a gallon. And while I'm at it, just how much dry yeast should be used for this small a batch? Thanks!

1 packet of dry yeast is good for up to 5 gallons. If you are using fresh mint leaves l would crush them up a bit and put them in secondary. Good luck and welcome to the obsession.

Secondary it is. Am I using an entire packet just for one gallon? Or am I using a smaller portion and rehydrating that instead? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm more of a beer brewer.

Hi JJack, I Cannot speak for anyone else but given the price of wine yeast ( a dollar? dollar fifty? ) and given the fact that it is unlikely that you are going to over yeast your must I would add the whole pack... The upside is that you don't have any opened packages of yeast in your fridge that over time become contaminated with bacteria...

I personally like using herbs by steeping them in the must. Possibly loose and keeping them in the primary, if you're looking for a stronger mint flavor.

Latest posts

Back