First shot at mozzarella, photo journal style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
The wife bought me a cheese-making kit, so I put it to work today. We don't have a microwave, so I used hot water to stretch the curd at the end. It worked shockingly well and was really easy. Honestly, I think the microwave would have been more of a pain.

But anyway, pictures.

mozz01.jpg

mozz02.jpg

mozz03.jpg

mozz04.jpg

mozz05.jpg

mozz06.jpg

mozz07.jpg

mozz08.jpg

mozz09.jpg

mozz10.jpg

-Joe

And of course, the final product. Needed more salt (I used 1 tsp of the "cheese salt" included in the kit), but was delicious nonetheless. Texture was perfect - firm, but not rubbery.

mozz11.jpg

-Joe

thats feckin awesome.

i cant wait to get a cheese set.

just for clarification, mozz. is a non-aged cheese, no?

just for clarification, mozz. is a non-aged cheese, no?
Yepper, I was eating it less than an hour after I started. Instant, delicious gratification :)

And KuntyBrew, if it helps I treated it like I do when making a boule from bread dough - develop surface tension by stretching it, then folding it to the back. Turn 90 degrees, repeat until smooth and uniform.

-Joe

Save the whey and you can make ricotta. When I make mozzarella I make a double batch so I'll have plenty of whey for ricotta. Then I use half the mozzarella and all the ricotta to make lasagna.

Just to prove to myself the first shot wasn't a fluke, I grabbed another gallon of whole, organic milk at my local farm today. And...

mozz_10232011.jpg

Same process as before, I just upped the salt to 1 1/2tsp from the 1tsp I used last time. Haven't tasted it yet, report to follow.

Since I hate wasting food (and milk is expensive!) I decided to try making ricotta from the whey. Pretty easy - get the whey up to 200F, let it sit for 5 minutes, pour through a cloth, hang to drain.

ricotta1_10232011.jpg

ricotta2_10232011.jpg

ricotta3_10232011.jpg

ricotta4_10232011.jpg

ricotta5_10232011.jpg

It's still draining now, so I'll post up the results when I have them!

-Joe

The ricotta came out great! Mild flavor, but definitely ricotta and very yummy.

ricotta6_10232011.jpg

For lunch I made grilled cheeze with the fresh mozz, bacon and tomato from the same farm. So good!

grillcheeze.jpg

-Joe

Back