First Sample Ever - And it is GOOD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
I was going to wait until tomorrow to do a sample and dry hope my APA, but it has been in the carboy 3 weeks and the suspense was killing me. So I used my thief to suck up about 10oz of beer, then added 1oz cascades to dry hop.

Then I took a hydrometer reading to get my FG, 1.012 (OG 1.050) for an ABV about 5%, exactly what I was aiming for.

Beer color was about 10 SRM, and had a nice hop aroma, not too strong but nice. Very dry, not much residual sweetness and good hop bitterness (About 37 IBU). No fuesels or astringent taste. Very clean. I am extremely impressed considering it was 67 degrees and completely uncarbed, and that it was my first brew ever with a recipe I came up with all on my own, extract + specialty grains.

Here are some pictures of my brewing process:

Right after adding grains:
P1000749.jpg

Steeping Temperature:
P1000748.jpg

In the carboy:
P1000769.jpg

Fermentation Cooler:
P1000763.jpg

Food network probe thermometer I use to check temp:
P1000768.jpg

Start of fermentation:
P1000770.jpg

And finally... The SAMPLE!
P1000781.jpg

Welcome to The Addiction. Please keep all hands, arms, legs, and other bodily appendages inside the coach at all times. :rockin:

(And I want your camera, dammit!)

LOL... Thanks. I love this camera. I should get a picture of the nice forthy green hop foam before it sinks :D

that hose coming out the top of the carboy, is that for the foam to escape from?

and if so, what type of beers would produce the foam? im on my second beer right now and nothing has indicated that there could be foam.

i guess different beers ferment differently?

that hose coming out the top of the carboy, is that for the foam to escape from?

and if so, what type of beers would produce the foam? im on my second beer right now and nothing has indicated that there could be foam.

i guess different beers ferment differently?

Just a blow off. Probably overkill for the gravity of the beer, but not knowing what to expect I did not want beer on my ceiling.

Back