first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedsExcellentAdventure

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm brewing my first original recipe in the morning. It's the Big Bad Breakfast Stout in mourning of NHL lockout depriving me of the Big Bad Bruins.

I am doing a full 5 gallon boil and I have:

3 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Amber DME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 oz of Coffee and 2 oz of Chocolate at flameout

1 oz Hallertauer 4.3% AA 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 4.2% AA 60 min
0.5 oz Willamette 4.7% AA 30 min
0.5 oz Willamette 4.7% AA 0 min

I made a 2 liter starter (my very first one) with White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast

so what do you guys think, any major changes I should make or should this be a decent starting point for my brew of choice over a long, (possibly
hockey-less winter)?

Hey all,

I'm brewing my first original recipe in the morning. It's the Big Bad Breakfast Stout in mourning of NHL lockout depriving me of the Big Bad Bruins.

I am doing a full 5 gallon boil and I have:

3 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Amber DME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 oz of Coffee and 2 oz of Chocolate at flameout

1 oz Hallertauer 4.3% AA 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 4.2% AA 60 min
0.5 oz Willamette 4.7% AA 30 min
0.5 oz Willamette 4.7% AA 0 min

I made a 2 liter starter (my very first one) with White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast

so what do you guys think, any major changes I should make or should this be a decent starting point for my brew of choice over a long, (possibly
hockey-less) winter?

Flaked oats need to be mashed or you're just adding a bunch of starch to your beer. It's not much different from steeping. Combine all your grains with 1 lb of 2-row or pale malt. Steep/mash them in 1 gallon of water at 150F-160F for 30 minutes. (Use a 5 gallon paint straining bag instead of the muslin "gym sock" steeping bag) Try to maintain a steady temperature, but be especially aware of not going higher than 160F

That seems like a lot of chocolate malt (over 10%). I might lower that a bit, then add a half lb of roasted barley (which is one thing that differentiates a stout and a porter), and maybe some dark (80 or 120 crystal) for some sweetness to go with the coffee and chocolate. Just my 2 cents!

awesome thanks guys

should i put the chocolate and coffee in a muslin bag or just throw them in the kettle at flameout?

it's fine in either place. unless you already have it, personalyl i'd ditch the amber extract for light and choose what crystal you want. being a stout, you really should have some roasted barley in this as well. right now its more of a breakfast porter

any reason for the diff hops? willy would be fine to use for all 3oz

I brewed Double Dach's Founders Breakfast Stout clone and for the coffee/chocolate additions, I added them directly to the boil (chopped up chocolate and grounds of coffee) and it went straight into the primary. When we racked to secondary (pretty much required for that much of a chocolate and coffee addition) we used a paint strainer bag on the end of the tubing to keep out most of the excess grounds. I'd do 2 ounces only at flameout and 2 ounces pressed with a cup or cup and a half of hot water at bottling or late in secondary.

I'll say this... it's delicious. And it still has a good 2 weeks before we bottle.

Back