First Recipe...Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAndrew

Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new at creating recipes but I've been doing an unholy amount of reading on here and am excited to try a recipe that I have put together. It's an IPA.... The only thing is, I really don't know if it will be any good. It is an extract recipe...

WLP 001

1 lb. Crystal 60L
.5 lb. Briess Pale Ale

6 lb Light DME
2 lb Amber DME

2 oz Simcoe
2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Cascade

Hop Schedule
60- 1 oz Simcoe
25-15 - 1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz Cascade
5 - 1 oz Amarillo

DH- 1 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Cascade

I would like to add all of the extract at flameout. If I'm doing a 3-4 gallon boil in a 5 gallon pot, will I run a big risk of a boilover if I add all that DME at the end? Thanks in advance for the help

You should really boil the dme for the whole time. Secondly, for a 5 gallon batch, thatd put your crystal 60 at 10%, which is traditionally way too much. Id take out the pale addition (why is there if your using dme?), and reduce the crystal 60. Look closely at your hops... what are the AA%? There is some 3.5% Cascade out there right now, which is very different than than the normal 5-6, or even 7.5% I see.

You should really boil the dme for the whole time. Secondly, for a 5 gallon batch, thatd put your crystal 60 at 10%, which is traditionally way too much. Id take out the pale addition (why is there if your using dme?), and reduce the crystal 60. Look closely at your hops... what are the AA%? There is some 3.5% Cascade out there right now, which is very different than than the normal 5-6, or even 7.5% I see.

You don't have to boil extract so don't worry about adding it late. It shouldn't boil over, but it certainly can if you don't watch it closely.

I don't like the crystal and the amber DME. Amber DME has crystal in it, so you definitely don't want to use both of those.

Thanks, as you can tell I'm pretty new to this but I just don't feel like doing another kit.

What is the 1/2# of Pale Ale Malt for?

To be honest, I'm a bit of a noob at this and someone told me it would be a good steeping grain for an IPA.

I guess I should rephrase this thread as "Does anyone have any tips on a good IPA recipe?"

Pale Ale Malt is a base malt (like an American Marris Otter) and while it is a GREAT grain for an IPA it needs to be mashed and a 1/2# would not make that much of a difference.

If you want to use some Pale Ale malt I would go this route:
6# Extra light DME (I like Briess Golden Light)
2# Briess Pale Ale Malt
1/2# Crystal 60

Mash them around 152.

If you don't want to do a partial mash just get rid of the Pale Ale malt and add another pound of DME.

The hop schedule looks good. Blending the flavor hops and adding them equally at 20-10-5 might be interesting but it works the way you have it as well.

Pale Ale Malt is a base malt (like an American Marris Otter) and while it is a GREAT grain for an IPA it needs to be mashed and a 1/2# would not make that much of a difference.

If you want to use some Pale Ale malt I would go this route:
6# Extra light DME (I like Briess Golden Light)
2# Briess Pale Ale Malt
1/2# Crystal 60

Mash them around 152.

If you don't want to do a partial mash just get rid of the Pale Ale malt and add another pound of DME.

The hop schedule looks good. Blending the flavor hops and adding them equally at 20-10-5 might be interesting but it works the way you have it as well.

Thank you for the help. I'm going to just get all my advice from HBT rather than someone I bump into at my LHBS.

Back