First recipe created - robust porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I decided to create my first recipe, a robust porter...please critique!

5.5 gallon @ 70% efficiency - SG around 1.055

9.33 lbs 2-row
1.33 lbs crystal 90L
.75 lbs Black patent
.75 lbs chocolate malt
1 oz N. Brewer - 60 min (8.5%)
1 oz willamette - 30 min
.5 oz Hallertau - 30 min
.5 oz Hallertau - 0 min
Nottingham Dry yeast

Mash at ~152 F

Any thoughts?

Jason

I'd dial down the Black Patent, maybe more like .25lb and increase the Chocolate Malt a tad to compensate. Personally I only use Black Patent in my Stouts and then only sparingly. You could probably also round out the pounds rather than using 1/3 pounds for your base malt and Crystal.

I think it looks tasty but I would adjust the hop schedule some. There is not much flavor gained at a 30min addition and much less bitterness. To make best use of your hops put most of the bitterness additions as 60min and add flavor and aroma additions in the last 15min. A robust porter can have some hops flavors but not excessive so keep it restrained.
I think your grains are pretty good for a robust porter. You will have a very roasty and dark beer but I like that style. Scaling back the patent some will reduce the roasty dryness in the beer which may or may not be your goal.

Craig

Thanks! As for the hops, I totally guessed, I just picked some that I knew the name of and that were in the designing great beers book. How about this:

5.5 gallon @ 70% efficiency - SG around 1.055

9.5 lbs 2-row
1.5 lbs crystal 90L
.5 lbs Black patent
1.0 lbs chocolate malt
1 oz N. Brewer - 60 min (8.5%)
1 oz willamette - 60 min
.5 oz Hallertau - 15 min
.5 oz Hallertau - 0 min
Nottingham Dry yeast

Mash at ~152 F

Thanks!

Jason

So just cracked the first of this one open tonight after 2 weeks in the bottle, and it is delicious! FG ended up being 1.018, which I think is great! Very roasty and black as night, and very tasty. Recipe ended up as follows:

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb Crystal 80
1 lb Chocolate malt
.25 lbs Black Patent
.75 oz Galena @ 60
.5 oz Tettnanger @ 60
.25 oz Galena @ 15
.5 ox Tettnaager @ 0
Nottingam Dry Yeast

SG 1.056 FG 1.018

This was my first recipe that I created, and knowing a little more now I probably would have done the hop additions differently, maybe only a 60, or just 60 and 15, but it tastes great anyways! Thanks fo rthe help!

Jason

Back