First Recipe - Belgian White - Looking for suggestions and opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arles

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP400
Yeast Starter: Depends on how lazy I am (probably not)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 11
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.68 SRM
ABV: 4.98
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

4.5# 2-Row Malt
4.5# Unmalted Wheat
10 oz Honey Malt

1 oz Saaz, Czech at 60 mins
.25oz Saaz, Czech at 10 mins
.5 oz Bitter orange peel at 10 mins
.5 oz sweet orange peel at 10 mins

I had an Avery White Devil the other day and decided to make something like it. Like the title says this is my first attempt at a recipe but I was going for something simple and delicious for summer that doesn't taste like blue moon.

I don't have any specific questions but any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had a recipe for Avery White Rascal. As I recall your recipe looks pretty close except there was no honey malt and there was corriander in the Recipe I had. Also, the yeast was Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit. If you are not trying to clone the White Rascal, I would say you have an interesting recipe. I would be curious to hear how it comes out for you.

I'm still not real sure about what yeast I want to use but I'll look in to the forbidden fruit. And I may add coriander depending on the yeast. I kind of wanted to use the 410 instead but brewmasterswarehouse doesn't carry it.

I've done the clone thing before but this time I kinda wanted something that was my own.

Also do you think the honey is to much? I want something subtle, not overpowering.

I used wy 3944 for a wit, and I really like the yeast profile (though it was kinda stinky while it was green). +1 on the corriander, adds some cool citrus character too!

+100 on cutting the honey malt, add the corinder and also id maybe cut the unmalted wheat to about 2 lbs and add 2lbs of flaked wheat to get some good head retention, thats at least how ive done my last wit and it came out well.

I'm still not real sure about what yeast I want to use but I'll look in to the forbidden fruit. And I may add coriander depending on the yeast. I kind of wanted to use the 410 instead but brewmasterswarehouse doesn't carry it.

I've done the clone thing before but this time I kinda wanted something that was my own.

Also do you think the honey is to much? I want something subtle, not overpowering.

I commend the brewer who experiments! So good for you for not going that route. However, I do think the honey is a bit too much. I would cut it down a bit. I also like the suggestion of adding some flaked wheat... It will definitely improve head retention. The corriander, that is just a matter of preference. Personally, I rarely taste the corriander, so I will sometimes use fresh lemon zest in the last 5 minutes. Also, the corriander will make it more bluemoon/shocktopish.

Just two questions. What does the unmalted wheat do instead of using flaked wheat? Does the unmalted wheat then need a protein rest? Also after using honey malt a couple times in different beers I'd cut down to no more than 8oz. I do coriander in mine but only like .5oz because I'm not a huge fan of a strong presence but I like just a hint of it.

I'm not really sure about the difference between unmalted and flaked wheat but the BJCB guidelines recommend unmalted wheat.

And I think I will cut the honey down to 8 oz.

After researching a lot I found this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/el-segundo-grado-witbier-87679/ by Saccharomyces. He uses a protein rest at 122*F for 30 minutes, step to 154*F saccharification rest for 45 minutes. Apparently my efficiency will suffer but it's a lot easier than doing a cereal mash.

However I listened to Jamil's podcast and he recommends doing a cereal mash with a 122 protein rest for 15 mins then 150 for 15 mins then boil for 15 mins at 1.4 quarts/lb followed by a regular mash.

So I'll think on it for a little bit.....

After researching a lot I found this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/el-segundo-grado-witbier-87679/ by Saccharomyces. He uses a protein rest at 122*F for 30 minutes, step to 154*F saccharification rest for 45 minutes. Apparently my efficiency will suffer but it's a lot easier than doing a cereal mash.

However I listened to Jamil's podcast and he recommends doing a cereal mash with a 122 protein rest for 15 mins then 150 for 15 mins then boil for 15 mins at 1.4 quarts/lb followed by a regular mash.

So I'll think on it for a little bit.....

Let us know what you decided and how it turns out.

Just pitched the yeast on my batch. I went with the cereal mash method. It actually wasn't as much work as I thought it would be.

It turns out today was one of the best brew days I've ever had. I hit all my temps within a degree and my OG was spot on. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Back