First recepi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzalmighty

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to brewing with onlyba few brews under my belt. I want to experiment with making my own recepi and was womdering if i could get some.feedback on wether or not these ingredients would work or if not then what can i change

Crystal malt for caramal flavor
Carapils for head retention
Wheat malt for head retsntion
Simcoe hops for a piny aouroma
Cluster hops for an herb like tatseand safale us-05 yeast

Hi guys, im new to brewing with onlyba few brews under my belt. I want to experiment with making my own recepi and was womdering if i could get some.feedback on wether or not these ingredients would work or if not then what can i change

Add a bunch of base malt (2-row) and you've got a pretty good basic IPA/pale ale going on.

You need to add some base malt. You need to post a recipe to get some constructive feedback as we have no clue as to the mounts/percentages that you are going to use these ingredients with.

If you are an extract brewer and using these grains as adjuncts, then you are right with your comments. Quantities are still important.

start with a base malt of 2 row pale or pilsner in the 70-80% range.
add only one or two character malts for flavor and/or color. Like Vienna or Munich .
No need to add 2 malts for head retention. One will do, if its even necessary at all.
Hops is a personal taste choice, I tend to lean hard towards Hallertau .On your first brew recipe I would go easy on hops amount but the Cluster sounds good. Tradition would be nice as well.
US-05 is a great general use yeast .
What style beer is your goal ? Is wheat (or the other choices you have there) in the style youre creating?
Find a brew calculator app and plug in your ingredients .
I like to use this one , from the LHBS I used to buy from. I still do , when I get up north.

https://brewwerks.azurewebsites.net/dashboard

On the right of the mid-page theres a yellow bar "Create a New Recipe" ,click that. Enter your ingredients, adjust the amounts. When you come to a recipe you think you're satisfied with , scroll all the way down and look at the small section "Homebrew Style Guide" .It will allow you to select the style you are going for ,see if your input is actually within that certain style, once you get that adjusted, print it out .
It will give you a good idea of what to adjust to be within the style you're creating and a prediction of your gravities and ABV . Have fun.

Last edited:
Back