First public offering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
We had a bunch of friends and relatives over for a cookout Saturday and I chilled a couple 6 packs of our first batch to drink. I'm happy to say that everyone liked it (at least they said they did). They drank the whole bottle anyway. A few people said that it was the first homebrew that they tried that actually tasted good (they had stories about how bad it was). A few people actually asked for a second one. Somebody brought a couples sixes of Thunderhead IPA that they got for cheap and my beer put it to shame but, the beast would've put it to shame too, it was that bad. If and when my beer gets really good, I don't think I'll let it go as easily. I just wanted to see if everyone else thought it was as good as I did.

Is it a sin to covet ones Beer?

It is just cool whenever someone tries your homebrew and likes it. I still have people come over and act surprised that my beer tastes good.

It is not a sin to covet your beer. Once you get a nice pipeline going you won't mind as much.

I am afraid of giving the people I know my beer. They're all snobs and know what good beer is, so handing off what I've made is unnerving. Although, I have given my beer to some really amazing brewers both homebrewers and professionals, and I've gotten good honest opinions. So I am happy to have that kind of environment.

I would love for an honest, educated critique of my beer. Most of my friends only drink lighter styles (heiney, labatts, Red Stripe, etc.) Plus, I think they automatically assume the worst just because they don't believe that anyone could make good beer at home, compared to the experts at the big breweries.

I would love for an honest, educated critique of my beer. Most of my friends only drink lighter styles (heiney, labatts, Red Stripe, etc.) Plus, I think they automatically assume the worst just because they don't believe that anyone could make good beer at home, compared to the experts at the big breweries.

Move over to WA state and I'll critique your beer all day long. Honest feedback is a hard commodity to come by. I can taste my beer and like it (and I am also critical enough to note the flaws), but having someone else confirm your feeling or give you a tip to fix it is difficult for some of us who don't have other brewers close by, or in my case don't get out much.

Honestly that's what's nice about entering a competition... even if the person you give it to knows their stuff and is comfortable enough with you to be honest they might not want to say 'WOW this is flawed' or might not be able to pick something up in a social setting. I had a guy in our club try my bitter at a party in January and he didn't seem to hate it (all I remember him saying was 'grainy'). He wound up judging it at the competition last month and gave it something in the upper 20s (not bad but not great), dinging it for DMS and a few other things.

I've gotten the 'wow I know people that make their own beer but this is actually good' speech a few times too; it's nice.

While it's gratifying to have others compliment your beer, sincere or not, the only award that it will get is the smile on my face.

A sample from the second batch will be sampled Friday. If the taste I got of it from the Fermentor is any indication of how good it will be, it should be getting a big award.

I find more faults in my beers than others do.
Yeah. So do I. Everyone loved my heffe-smoothie. My roommate wants to know when I can brew more. I hated it. And I'm unlikely to ever duplicate it, as it was a fluke.
And I also notice the inconsistent heads from each bottle. No one else does.
I'm pretty critical of myself. Prolly why I excel at the few things I excel at.

I brew a great IPA. My friends don't like IPA's.
I brew a great smoked porter. My friends don't like smoked porter.
I brew several great west coast APA's. My friends don't like hoppy west coast APA's.

I also brew a decent cream ale, a decent belgian wit and a rather blah...everyday blonde (not my centennial). Now these beers...my friends go out of their way to come over and pillage.

Blame not your brewing skills, but rather the narrow public palette that exists, for those less than enthusiastic receptions to your homebrew.

I brew a great IPA. My friends don't like IPA's.
I brew a great smoked porter. My friends don't like smoked porter.
I brew several great west coast APA's. My friends don't like hoppy west coast APA's.

I also brew a decent cream ale, a decent belgian wit and a rather blah...everyday blonde (not my centennial). Now these beers...my friends go out of their way to come over and pillage.

Blame not your brewing skills, but rather the narrow public palette that exists, for those less than enthusiastic receptions to your homebrew.

It's quite obvious that you brew a lot of great recipes and when I get around to brewing all grain, I hope that cream of 3 will be the first.

Back