First pour tastes off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Hey all,

Seems like I need to run off a little beer on my kegerator to get rid of an off taste. Maybe a 4-6 oz and then the beer tastes fine. I never had this problem with the hand held picnic taps. I have perlick faucets and about 6feet of line.

Do any of you need to clear your tap lines when pouring from your kegerator? I usually have a pint a day. Seems like a waste of precious beer.

And yes, I have run beer line cleaner, oxyclean, and star San through the lines and faucets.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Where did you get the tubing you use for beer line?

fwiw, 6 feet of 3/16" ID tubing will hold just over one ounce of liquid...

Cheers!

More beer is where I order my stuff. Well maybe I won't worry about pouring off as much. I used to work at a local brewery and we had to clear the tap lines every day for opener shifts. Maybe it's just part of it. The beers are fine. In fact just got 2nd for an amber ale at a local comp last month.

Do you have your draft tower cooled? AKA a fan blowing air up into the tower?

Could the "Taste" be a flat beer taste? You said it's only for the first pour, of beer that's been sitting in the lines for a while. Also depending on your psi, 6 ft may be a little short. Causeing your beer to come out too fast and gassing out prematurely (too much foam), which will also affect the flavor. Just some possible ideas:)

Could the "Taste" be a flat beer taste? You said it's only for the first pour, of beer that's been sitting in the lines for a while. Also depending on your psi, 6 ft may be a little short. Causeing your beer to come out too fast and gassing out prematurely (too much foam), which will also affect the flavor. Just some possible ideas:)

I think it might be a little bit like that. It's usually only 2-3 oz. after the first bit,the beer tastes good. It's interesting. Maybe the small amount in the shanks is flat and warmer and tastes funny. It reminds me of needing to clear the lines before opening. At my local brewery. Didn't happen with the 5' long picnic taps set at 10 psi and kept in the fridge.

If you are sure the lines are clean, then I'd take the faucets off and apart for a thorough cleaning. Simply running cleaning solution through won't get all the nooks and crannies in a tap. Run a cleaning brush through the shank too!

Brass or all Stainless shanks? Does it taste metallic?

Check your dip tubes too! They can get pretty gunky

Back