First Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockey8oz

Reaction score
Hey all-

Long time lurker, first time poster. I brewed my 3rd and 4th batches ever this past weekend. It was the first time I took gravity readings. I have a Saison with my OG at 1.056 (target 1.060). I also did the Northy 12 OG 1.090 (target: nailed! :) ). The instructions did not come with a final gravity reading target so I am not sure when to move to the secondary. Any suggestions?

Plug your grain bill and yeast into a good calculator .. it will tell you within a pretty good range what your FG will be (use beersmith, brewersfriend or other)

Skip the secondary

Unless you are going to age for an extended period, adding friut, or adding oak you can skip going into a secondary. It's not needed in most cases.
As for your finished gravity, check out Brewers Friend or another online program. It has a free trial online. You can input the recipe you used and it will give you an estimated finished gravity to shoot for.

When you get a chance update your profile with your location, it's a friendly group here and people near you might just say hello.

Plug your grain bill and yeast into a good calculator .. it will tell you within a pretty good range what your FG will be (use beersmith, brewersfriend or other)

Skip the secondary

The Northy 12 is a 3 month secondary according to the recipe. I have read elsewhere that a 6 month age is even better. Forego the secondary?

Unless you are going to age for an extended period, adding friut, or adding oak you can skip going into a secondary. It's not needed in most cases.
As for your finished gravity, check out Brewers Friend or another online program. It has a free trial online. You can input the recipe you used and it will give you an estimated finished gravity to shoot for.

When you get a chance update your profile with your location, it's a friendly group here and people near you might just say hello.

I updated my profile...I thought I had done that originally. Brewer's Friend is bookmarked now thanks!

Skip the secondary. No need for one.

As far as what FG to expect you can plug them into some brew software, to get an estimate. Notice I said estimate. That is all it is. It will often be close but not cast in stone. Saison yeasts often go much lower than the software presicts. For example if you use 3711 or Belle Saison expect to be close to 1.000. Software may predict something like 1.008. hahahaha no way will 3711 stop there.

BTW welcome to the forum. Great bunch of brewers here, with tons of great info.

The Northy 12 is a 3 month secondary according to the recipe. I have read elsewhere that a 6 month age is even better. Forego the secondary?

If you are going to age for 3-6 months then by all means secondary is a good idea.

By the way, welcome to the hobby!

I updated my profile...I thought I had done that originally. Brewer's Friend is bookmarked now thanks!

Recipes are someone's ideas, a reflection of what they did, not necessarily the best way to do things. You would want to leave that beer (indeed, any beer) in the primary until all fermentation has ceased. You use a hydrometer to tell when that has happened, not a calendar. Once the ferment is over, more time in the fermenter will allow more of the suspended yeast to settle out and the beer to begin maturing. For a beer with that OG, I'd probably leave it in the fermenter for 4 to 6 weeks, then bottle. It will continue to mature in the bottle and you will avoid the chance of oxidation or infection that is possible when you move a beer to secondary.

Latest posts

Back