First Post - SIMPLE electric BK ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been trolling these forums for the last year or so, basically from the day I had the idea of learning to brew my own beer onwards. I have been able to go from zero knowledge about brewing to all grain batches almost exclusively from information provided by you guys. So before I asking for more help I just want to say thanks :)

Now for the question:
I live in an apartment in Toronto and we are about to hit winter, and I don't think there is any chance of getting me outside to brew beer in the snow and cold. I do not want to give up this hobby for x amount of months, and ultimately it would be great to be able to brew all year round, so I'm considering moving everything indoors.

My stove is electric but it is super weak and takes forever to boil. So I'm looking for a simple easy alternate way to go. I don't want anything fantastic with temperature controllers etc etc, just a way to boil wort and heat up water for the mash.

I have read the threads about induction burners, and I am thinking this is a decent way to go, I would have to replace my kettle, but if this is the best way to go then whatever its worth it.

I have also read about these heatsticks, but Im not familiar at all with wiring and electrical diagrams and it kind of freaks me out to be honest...

Another thing to mention is that there is exactly one outlet in my apartment that seems like it would work for this and that is the stove outlet. I understand that I would likely need some form of adapter to plug into this outlet?

Basically there is a huge learning curve for getting into this equipment and it seems like everyone is wiring up these huge automated rigs, and all I need is to boil some wort. So what do you guys think is the simplest (and preferably also the cheapest?) equipment to do this task?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide!
:rockin:

First, determine what the amp rating is for your stove outlet, its supply wiring, and the circuit breaker. That is your first constraint, and when we know that, we can suggest some alternatives, from a high wattage element that can handle heat requirements on its own, to an induction burner, etc.

I know that the fuse in the breaker box says 40A. Like I said I really dont know anything about electrical wiring. Does that tell you anything? I'm not at home but I can investigate further after work if I have a bit of guidance.

sorry - I'm an electrical noob.

I agree with Stubbornmack -

Wait for the Brewhardware Hot Rod to come out, and use that to supplement your stove for boiling.

Another option is to brew smaller batches, 2.5-3 gallon.
You might be able to get by with your existing stove, which would be the cheapest option.

regarding the premade heatsticks - I agree this would be a good way to go, but I only have one outlet that seems to be rated high enough to power this stuff, and that is the stove outlet. In order to plug in the heatstick I would have to unplug the stove... I can't really get anyone in to rewire this place. I just rent and my landlord isn't the easiest person to deal with.

The problem dealing with the stove is - 1 it is super small and the one time I tried brewing on it the heating element got all bent from the weight of the pot. Also it took FOREVER to boil and there isn't a lot of ventilation in the kitchen so the whole place filled with steam and it was a really bad experience.

I'd like to move brew day into the next room which has a really nice bay window area where i could brew and vent the steam. I would just need to have an extension cord to run to the kitchen stove outlet...

Yeah not really the most optimal conditions for brewing indoors!

If you really have 40a available, you have plenty to run a 5500w 240v element (runs at about 23a). Search this forum for some of the eBIAB builds. You could also go with a 3500w induction burner. You will need a gfci for the former, and match your element wiring to your circuit overload protection.

What sort of outlets do you have near your stove on the counter? It may be a 20amp GFCI outlet which can be used with a heat stick to supplement your stove burner. I use my stove with an element built into the pot. I can get 8 gallons to boil in a reasonable amount of time.

I agree with fatman. Utilizing what you already have in my opinion may be your bet bet. So supplimenting your exiting stove top with an additional 120v heatstick fed from your countertop GFCI may be a great move. Also remember, bringing water to a boil can take a very long time, but keeping the boil takes very little additional heat.

Breaking up a full volume into two pots and using multiple burners may work well for you. Once it is boiling just add it all into the same container.

Even better. Break up the full volume into two pots and do two separate boils using different hops yeast ect to see what differences you can get from small simple changes. 3 gal carboys are great for this.

here is a picture of what is in the breaker box.

as for what kind of plugs are available - there is a standard three prong outlet on the wall and then the wonky kind of stove weird plug outlet behind the stove. I am pretty sure the stove outlet is the only one that is connected to this breaker as the label on the breaker box says "stove"...

anyways I would be happy not to use the stove at all during brewing, like i mentioned the ventilation in my kitchen is not great, I'd rather move it into the other room...

If I got a 5500w 240v element as suggested would I be able to boil 4-5 gallon batches? You mention a GFCI - would a GFCI extension cord OK? then I would just unplug the stove and plug in the extension cord and then boil using a heatstick in the other room? That would be ideal.

Likewise an induction burner on an extension cord plugged into the same outlet would also work great for me if it can boil 4 - 5 gallons. I dont really mind unplugging the stove and using an extension cord this is sort of a temporary thing anyways.

Will the Brewhardware Hot Rod have a version that can do this? I would much prefer buying prebuilt because obviously I have very little knowledge and I wouldnt want to take any risks.

IMG_20141001_202418.jpg

Back