First Post...Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palms

Reaction score
I have been reading the forum for a couple weeks and I have decided that in the next week or 2 i am going to try my first batch. Since I can not buy Fat Tire in South Dakota i would like to brew a clone of it. I have searched the forum and found one. I will post the recipe below, but first I have a few questions about it.

question 1. in the section where it tells me the hops and boil time. it says

1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50 24.6 60 min
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 9.1 30 min
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 4.8 15 min
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50 0.0 0 min

are the minutes stated the amount of time the hops are boiled for, or is it the time of the boil. In other words do I boil the Willamette Pellets for 60 minutes, or do I put them in at the 60 minute mark of my boil.

question 2. Since this is my first try at this I'm not about to do an all grain brew. Can I in fact substitue 4 lb Light DME and 1 lb Wheat DME for 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium? (Someone had recommended that in the original post) And I would then steep the rest of the grains in the recipe correct?

I hoped I phrased my questions ok. This forum is great and will be SO much help for me. Here is the recipe that Dude posted:

Fat Tire Cloner

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
10-B American Ale, American Amber Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 17 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.85
Anticipated OG: 1.051 Plato: 12.52
Anticipated SRM: 13.0
Anticipated IBU: 38.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
73.7 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
9.2 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Belgium 1.038 8
4.6 0.50 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
4.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10
4.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
2.3 0.25 lbs. Special Roast Malt America 1.033 40
0.9 0.10 lbs. Chocolate Wheat Malt Belgium 1.030 500

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

Yeast
WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Notes
Safale-56 is the yeast used for this batch.

2 lbs. of toasted 2 row(350 deg for 30 mins) should be used.

palms said:
question 1. in the section where it tells me the hops and boil time. it says

are the minutes stated the amount of time the hops are boiled for, or is it the time of the boil. In other words do I boil the Willamette Pellets for 60 minutes, or do I put them in at the 60 minute mark of my boil.

the way the hops are listed above is like this . . .
amount, name, AA's, IBU's, and time left inthe boil. So for the first addition of hops your going to add 1oz of the willamette when you have 60 minutes left of boiling. Assuming you're doing a 1 hour boil as soon as you get boiling start your timer and add the first amount of Willamette. Your next addition will be 1oz of Fuggels when you have 30 minutes left, then again 1oz of Fuggels at 15 minutes left and the final 1oz of Willamette will be when you turn off your flame

question 2. Since this is my first try at this I'm not about to do an all grain brew. Can I in fact substitue 4 lb Light DME and 1 lb Wheat DME for 8.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium? (Someone had recommended that in the original post) And I would then steep the rest of the grains in the recipe correct?
I dont have promash available ATM since I'm at work but 5lbs of DME sounds about right. As for the rest of the grains, put them in your kettle in a grain bag and let them steep as you bring your kettle up to 150ish then let them sit at 150 for about 30 mins pull the grains out bring it to a boil and add your extract.

thank you so much for your time pumbaa. One last question. Is there a place online that I can buy ALL of the ingredients for this recipe? I did some looking, and found some sites that it looked like they only carried a portion of what i needed.

I buy online often from austin home brew- they charge a flat $5.99 shipping rate. I bought an extract Fat Tire Clone from them last summer, and it was great! You can do that, if you're unsure about converting an AG recipe. (I'm NOT knocking that recipe, and might want to try it myself.). I've also posted an extract version of Fat Tire on the forum, if you're interested.

I think any online store (Austin, Northern Brewer, and morebeer.com are the ones I use most) will have the ingredients you need.

Thanks guys. And Yooper Chick, I am interested. I'll have to search for that.

Well I brewed the Fat Tire Clone from AHB. (my first brew) Haven't tried it yet, it's still in the secondary. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I didn't get very good efficiency steeping the grain and I would like to try mashing with a 3 gallon cooler. Would I use this same recipe or is there a way to use less extract and more grain? I guess the problem would be how much grain can I fit in a 3 gallon cooler? By the way I haven't figured out how to use promash yet, I guess that's where one would normally start right?

Thanks

Back