First post - first brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAGfan

Reaction score
Just getting started here in NJ. Picked up a partial mash kit from local shop and all equipment needed. Went with an oatmeal stout first - and that one was so much fun that after it started fermenting I went out and got another bucket and a red ale kit as well.

Things went much smoother the second time around, but both are bubbling away at the moment. Can't wait to try em out in a few weeks.

I'm guessing the stout will take longer to condition in the bottle than the ale will, given the higher gravity and darker flavors, but I guess I'll find out :mug:

Just getting started with PM is pretty good! Welcome to what you must already know is an addicition! I went from kit-n-kilo to partial boil,partial mash brew in a bag. Def like making my own flavor complexities.

Welcome! And every time you do a kit it seems to be easier, more things you dont even think about. The only thing you cant get complacent about is sanitation. I know the first time around I was checking, oh what do i do next, do i do this, that, wondering if i skipped a step etc. But now its just ok time for mash, time for extract, time for yeast and away it goes.

Bottled the stout on Saturday with an FG of around .019

Took a sample and was surprised how mild it was, compared to a milk stout I was drinking at the time. I suppose the flavors will change over time in the bottle, but there wasn't much hoppiness at all

Back