First post and first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswilkes33

Reaction score
I first want to say hello and introduce myself to everyone.

I brewed my first batch of homebrew today and it is now in the primary waiting to start its fermenting. I used a kit that my LHBS (Austin Homebrew Supply) put together to be similar to Bass Ale. My first question, and Im sure there will be more as the process continues, and I havent been able to find the answer here, in how to brew (which I have read a couple times) or googling, perhaps you all can answer. The recipe called for Crystal grains and 7.5 lbs of extra pale extract. After boiling and adding hops the wort did not smell appitizing at all (kind of stunk like the grains) is this bad or normal? Will the aroma be better after fermenting/racking/bottling?

Yes, it's normal. No fermentation has taken place yet so it's a very different creature than it will be afterwards.

Oh... and welcome! ;)

I love the smell of wort myself. But I guess I can see how some would say it 'stunk' though. :D

And lucky you for having Austin Homebrew as your LHBS!

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Back