First patial mash - protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
So I decided to brew a Belgian witbier as a partial mash, with 2 lbs. each of pilsner and wheat malt, and a pound of torrified wheat. The guy at the LHBS, as well as my Joy of Homebrewing book, recommended a protein rest at around 130*F. So, as the book suggested, I heated my 5 quarts of water to 150, and added the 5 lbs. of grain. Instead of cooling to the neighborhood of 130, it stayed at 150, and now, after taking it off the heat, seems to have warmed to 160. Apparently the laws of physics do not apply at my house. I double checked the temp with a second thermometer, and my brewing thermometer is good.

I added some room temperature water to get the temp down to 130, but that was after sitting at 150+ for 10 or 15 minutes. What effect will this have on the end result of my mash?

Thanks...

I really don't think a protein rest is neccessary for a wit, especially with your grain bill. The majority of it is modified, meaning that a protein rest will just make your beer watery.

Read this: How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Protein Rest and Modification

A protein rest comes in the beginning of the mash, as I understand it(never done one). Then you step up to your mash temp. How long did you mash?

A protein rest comes in the beginning of the mash, as I understand it(never done one). Then you step up to your mash temp. How long did you mash?

Yeah...I believe you should already have your grain in the water and heat till you hit the 1st target temp...rest...raise temp to next target temp...rest...etc.

Because I was using the torrified wheat, it was recommended that I do a protein rest. Papazian puts this in his generic partial mash instructions as well, so I tried to do it. Based on the Palmer book you linked to, though, it sounds like it is rarely necessary. I guess this is how you learn, right? :)

I'm about to raise the temperature to 150 or so for about 45 minutes, and then sparge. Does that sound about right?

Because I was using the torrified wheat, it was recommended that I do a protein rest. Papazian puts this in his generic partial mash instructions as well, so I tried to do it. Based on the Palmer book you linked to, though, it sounds like it is rarely necessary. I guess this is how you learn, right? :)

I'm about to raise the temperature to 150 or so for about 45 minutes, and then sparge. Does that sound about right?

you should be safe @150* - 155* just try not to go over 170* tho.

Thanks for the replies. I am pressing on...boiling now for another 40 minutes or so, and will add extract, orange peel and coriander for 10 minutes. I am sure it will be fine...

Back