First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverz

Reaction score
I am planning on producing my first partial mash this weekend and wanted to get some advise.

Equipment:
6 Gallon Stainless steel pot
Plastic pail lauter tun and sparge bucket with Phils false bottom and sparge arm

Can/should I boil my mash liquor and the grain in the Stainless steel pot and use the pot to control temperature during the mash ?
or should i transfer the hot mash water to the lauter tun and add the grain to that vessel ?

When should i transfer the mash to the lauter tun for sparging ?

thanks

i would bring you mash water sans the grain up to temperature 170 F in the stainless steel kettle. one quart of water per pound of grain.. add you grain... should stabalize at 155 or so. let it sit on the stove or in the oven on the lowest setting for an hour. it is really not a good idea to heat the kettle after the grains are in there with the range top, you will more likely than not scorch the grain to the bottom, unless you constantly stirr for an hour..

heat your sparge water to 170 and fill your lauter tun with enough water to cover the false bottom... then gently pour your grain in. then start your sparge. and collect as much wort as you can.

if you do just heat the mash water in the ss kettle then combine the grains in the lauter tun, try wrapping the plastic pail in something that will insulate it a bit... have some 200 degree water ready to add to the pail to keep the temp constant around 155.

have fun, and remember, if a monkey like i can have decent results with a partial mash... ;)

Thanks T1 I will let you know how id goes, cant wait to get started.

OK First Patial Mash completed. Here is the receipe that we used.

It seems to have a significant deeper color then I had expected?

Also using a Plastic Pail Sparge bucket was very difficult keeping at 170 degree's during the sparge, any recommendations for next time ?

Also sparge water seems to drop about 20 degree's betwee sparge bucket and lauter tun is this drop expected ?

Using a Yeast slurry like recommended was great primary started fermenting within 6 hours of pitching.

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.00 lbs. American 2-row
0.50 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L
3.30 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract
2.0 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 1056 American Ale

Back