First partial mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly2378

Reaction score
Did my first partial mash last night after several extract batches. It was a Cold Smoke Scotch Ale clone kit from Austin Homebrew, but I changed the recipe up a bit to make it more similar to the "official" recipe from Kettlehouse. Added some brown sugar to the boil and altered the timing and amount of the hop additions to get to the right IBUs. Also did a 90 minute boil instead of the recipe's 60 since I've heard that Kettlehouse does a two hour boil...decided to just split the difference. Plugged my recipe into Brewer's Friend and it gave me a projected OG of 1.071 and a final ABV estimate of 6.5% with a color of 11 SRM, which is dead on for the real Cold Smoke. Mashed the grains for an hour at 150-155 (forgot to take a temp at the end of the mash, so not sure how much heat I retained, but I started at 155). Sparged with a couple of gallons of water and ended up with somewhere between 2.75 and 3 gal for my boil (my 4 gallon kettle was pretty much at the limit of what I can safely do in it). After all was said and done, my OG reading was 1.070. Pitched with a starter of Wyeast Scottish Ale last night and it's bubbling happily away this morning. Really excited about this one...Cold Smoke is one of my favorite beers, but sadly unavailable in South Dakota (or anywhere else outside of Montana, for that matter).

Back