First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFinsta

Reaction score
I'm trying out my first partial mash, and have a few questions.

The recipe:
1.5lb 2-row
1lb. special roast
1lb. honey malt
1lb. caramel/crystal 10L

Plus
3.15lb. NB Munich LME (50% Munich by weight)
1lb. golden light DME

1 oz. Perle 60 min.
.25/.75 oz. Tettnang at 25/5 min.

I'll be shooting for around 1.055 OG (assuming 65% efficiency on the mash) and fermenting at around 60*F with 1728.

So, my question is when should I add the munich LME? I don't want this to be too dark in color, as I'm trying this as a bit of a clone of a local brew, but I'm not sure if the malt character is changed by the munich being in with the other stuff for a longer time? Should I do the munich LME pre-boil and then add the DME at 15 minutes? I was going to mash at 154*F and keep it in my oven to stay warm for 60 minutes, then use the 10 minute tea bag method in 170*F water, combine the wort, and get to boilin'. Any other thoughts?

THanks in advance!

Is there a particular reason that you are using DME and LME? The reason I ask is because a great method is to add any ME during the last 15 minutes to sanitize and mix. You want to just use your partial mash for the hop schedule to make sure you get the proper alpha acid extraction, unless you are doing a full boil. The problem is that DME makes a mess when you add it to the boil. It tends to cause major foaming and boil-over risks. LME doesn't suffer that problem.

I would say stick with the original plan. A 60 min. boil won't add much of any color and stopping in mid boil to add DME will just throw your timing off. Another option is to add the DME at the very end when taking the wort off the heat, but contamination could be a concern with that method.

Thanks for the help; I'll just throw all the ME in while I'm heating to boil. I've generally used about 3.5 gallons for my extract batch boils; should I adjust this up to that or keep it around 2.5 gallons (plus whatever rinse of the LME bottle)? The only reason I chose DME for the pale was I could get it in 1lb. increments and not have to measure it out before adding.

Back