First Partial Mash Mess Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DtownRiot

Reaction score
Hey all,

I did my first partial mash around a month and a half ago. I made my own concoction out of some random ingredients.
6lbs Amber Malt Extract
1 1/2 lbs 60L Crystal Malt
1/2 lbs 40L Crystal Malt
Galena Hops
Nugget Hops
Williamette Hops
5 gallon batch

So heres the thing. I boiled for 60 mins. Fermented for about 3 weeks and have been conditioning for about 3 weeks. My beer is kind of watery/ way too light in body. I like a slightly medium to heavy body in beer. What did I forget to add? Did I do something wrong? Any help would be great. I've done six batches now and havent had much success. Starting to think its hopeless here.

Thanks

McGarnigle

Reaction score
That isn't really partial mash, it's extract + specialty grain steep. No reason that would be a watery beer, unless you're comparing it to a really rich, thick stout or something.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
You didn't do a partial mash, you just steeped crystal malts. Partial mashing involves using the enzymes in base malts to convert their starches and those contained in any other grains/adjuncts to sugar.

I would think that your batch should have plenty of body and be quite caramelly-sweet. To boost mouthfeel in future batches, consider adding maltodextrin to your beer. It's unfermentable and flavor-neutral. You may also consider a less attenuative yeast.