First Partial mash kit - Did I screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gover151

Reaction score
So after 4-5 batches using coopers kits, all but one turned out pretty good I attempted a fat tire clone tonight bought from a local brew shop.
I followed the directions, put the grain in 2L of hot water and let cook for 45 minutes at approx 155F. sifted it into my larger pot then dumped the grain back in my original pot, dumped in 2L of boiling water then added another 2L of hot water, brought to 170F and let sit for 15 minutes all as per directions, then dumped it into my main pot, added water, DME and brought to a boil for an hour adding the hops at the appropriate boil times,
Once done I couldn't syphon as the grain kept clogging the syphon, so i used my funnel and dumped into the carboy after cooling, added water, yeast and now its sitting on the floor.

My main concern is that I ended up with a pot full of grains, I thought the goal was to make a syrope type extract like the kits come with. Is this normal or did I do something wrong in the process.

You needed to sift the grains the second time you transferred to your main pot, they should not have been in the boil.

+1. Mashed grains are sparged in a collander or the like into the BK if you don't have a fancy mash tun with spigots & all. The grains are done in the process after the mash & sparge.

Ok thanks, guess I might have misunderstood the directions, any thoughts on if this will turn out as beer (good beer), I did manage to get it into my carboy and pitch the yeast OK.

Haven't tried this myself but have been reading up to prep for my first partial mash, and saw a guy reporting having done what you just did (i.e. boiled his grains) and he said it came out just fine.

Back