First Partial Mash...help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaturnascends

Reaction score
Please help!

I did my first partial mash today, a hoegaarden clone, and I really hope it turns out okay but i'm really worried. I was following the recipe to the T. I did a stove top partial boil, about 3/4 of the way through my 45 min boil I discoved that the ingredient list included 1.25 lbs of pilsner malt, which i had, but the recipe didn't call for it at all! I knew it was needed but it never mentioned it anywhere in the recipe, so I threw it into the grain bag and steeped it for the last 15 minutes of my boil. Then I realized that I had much less wort then I was supposed to. I added the correct amount of water and hit the temperatures and times correctly, but, instead of finishing with 2.5 gallons of wort I finished with 1.75 gallons. I then chilled my wort with an immersion chiller and a sink full of ice water. After chilling my wort I hit about 72 degrees and pitched my yeast, which said to pitch within 10 degrees of the current temp of the yeast. After pitching the yeast it called for cold water. My dad was helping me out and was adding the water for me, but when i felt it, it was lukewarm. So, my first partial mash had too little wort, luke warm water instead of cold, pilsner that was never listed on the recipe that I "steeped" for only 15 mins, and my wort + water in my fermentor is REALLY light. The wort was fairly dark before the water was added but it's almost clear and really thin. Will I be ok or have a completely screwed this batch? Here's the "Recipe".

Ingredient List:
Belgium 2-row pilsner malt - 1.25.lbs
Flaked Wheat - 8oz
Belgium Aromatic Malt - 4 oz
Flaked Oats - 4 oz
Rice Hulls - 8oz
Wheat Dry Extract 3.5 lbs

Recipe:
Heat 1 gallon water to 155 F add:
8 oz flaked wheat
8 oz belgium aromatic malt
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz rice hulls

steep at 150 F for 30 mins, sparge with 1 gallon water at 150 F. Bring to boil. Add:
3.5 lbs of Wheat Dry Extract
1 oz east kent golding hops

Add water until total volume of pot is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 mins. Add:
1/2 oz kent goldings hops
1/4 oz belgium bitter orange peel
3/4 tsp crushed coriander
1/8 tsp cumin

Boil 13 mins. Add:
1/2 oz chech saaz hops
1/2 oz belgium bitter orange peel
1/2 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp cumin

boil 2 mins. chills wort. transfer to fermentor and add cold water until total gallons is reached. pitch yeast when temp is below 80 F.

What was your OG in your fermentor? I am afraid that this batch may have to go down as a learning experience. By steeping for 15min of boil do you mean you added the pils malt in a bag in the boiling wort for 15 min? I dont know your brewing experience or anything but I think you need a good book or to get beersmith or promash or something and get your process down good with a couple simple brews then progress on to "specialty" beers.

I know that you not supposed to add grain during a boil as it can add tannins to the beer. I also know the pilsner malt was supposed to be put in the grain bag in the beginning with the flaked wheat, belium aromatic, flaked oats, and rice hulls, but it didn't list it and i didn't catch it until it was too late, i didn't see much else of an option so i steeped it as soon as I realized it was missing.

I probably would have steeped the malt in a 1/2 gallon of water, and then boiled that and added it at the end. But, since it's over and done now it's too late to change it.

It'll probably be fine. You won't get anything out of the malt you boiled- it needs to be under 160 degrees to convert- but it was a small amount so you may not have extracted much in the way of tannins, either. It seems like it wouldn't have done too much damage.

Back