First Partial Grain Brew - Normal Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if a normal airlock on a plastic fermenter is enough for partial grain brews? I've seen some demo's with big blow off tubes on full grain batches and just wondered at what point this becomes a consideration? I don't want the top of my fermenter to pop off :)

Thanks for any replies!

It all depends. I dont think there is a sure fire way to tell if you need a blow off or not. Mostly its about headspace ie. how much room in your fermenter does it have to krausen? If there isnt enough room that krausen will try to get out through your airlock and most likely get clogged up. Then the pressure will build inside the fermenter and you'll see your lid go flying.

In this upcoming case I will be fermenting in a 6.5 gal pail with 5.25 worth of wort. The only grain part of this partial grain batch is 1# of Maris Otter, the rest is 3.3# LME, 2#DME and about 3/4# of dextrose.

So, I'll have about a gallon and 1/4 of headspace, what do you think? Ok with the normal airlock?

Thanks for the advice!

Back