First Pale Ale - Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6thGoal

Stephen
Reaction score
Getting back into home brewing after a long absence (late 90's) and just bottled by first batch this past Friday (May 11). I brewed a simple AIH Pale Ale using specialty grains, LME and Chinook/Willamette hops. The measured OG was supposed to be 1.052, but came in lower, 1.048. I remeasured a few times before contacting AIH to get their opinion. It's quite possibly I read the OG incorrectly on the hydrometer, but now I am not so sure.

Being antsy, I popped the top after a week and took another measurement, 1.010 before replacing the top and letting the fermentation run it's course for another week. Quick calculations were performed and I noticed I was going to be close, but under the anticipated ABV. Unfortunately, due to time constraints I had to leave the beer in the fermentation bucket an extra week, as I was unable to bottle.

Bottling, as I said happened last Friday, a day short of 3-weeks. First, should I be concerned about keeping in an additional week? Second for my first beers, do I just run the course when it comes to OG or add DME to bring the OG up to where it should be? Finally, will the flavor be compromised with the additional time in the fermenter?

Thanks,
Stephen
@6thGoal on Twitter

Back