First outdoor brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
I have done two batches before, indoors where water, equipment, etc has been near to hand. I plan to brew outdoors tomorrow for the first time and don't want to screw it up. Weather is supposed to be partly sunny, low winds, low to mid 40s. To aid myself, I have made a brew day outline, and wanted to see if I missed anything. Any input is appreciated.

Brew day outline:

1. Setup table and cover.
2. Setup burner and test for leaks.
3. Clean kettle and cover.
4. Collect all other necessities:
1. Ingredients for brew.
1. 7 gallons bottled spring water
2. 6.6lbs pale LME
3. 3.25lbs Amber LME
4. 2.5lbs amber DME
5. 1oz roasted barley
6. 4oz 60L caramalt
7. 4oz smoked malt
8. 8oz chocolate malt
9. .5oz wilamette
10. .5oz northern brewer
11. 1 packet Windsor yeast​
2. Spoon
3. Thermometers
4. Hydrometer
5. Fermentation bucket full of sanitizer and soaking other items
6. Bucket to drain sanitizer into later
7. bucket lids
8. Grain bags
9. Tubing
10. Racking cane
11. Auto siphon
12. Funnel
13. air lock
14. lid for kettle
15. lighter
16. gloves
17. two 20lb bags of ice (no wort chiller, will be water bath)
18. tub for water bath.​

5. Add 5 gallons of water to kettle
6. start the fire
7. heat to 160F
8. Steep grains for 30 minutes, remove
9. bring to a boil
10. stir in lme
11. stir in dme
12. add northern brewer
13. boil 55 minutes
14. start and proof yeast??? or pitch dry
15. add wilamette
16. boil 5 minutes
17. flame out
18. cover, put in ice bath
19. reduce temp to 65-70F
20. while cooling move sanitizer and soaking equipment to other bucket, cover fermenter
21. siphon wort to fermenter, add water to 5.5 gallons
22. aerate wort
23. pitch yeast
24. cover, add airlock, move to fermentation chamber
25. clean and put away tools and equipment
26. learn patience and wait for fermentation (zen meditation perhaps)

That's one heck of a list. Did you hire a scribe? If it gets a little breezy, you may need a wind screen on the burners. Brew on...

I need you for a list maker! :rockin:

Also I with the wind screen suggestion. I simply use aluminum foil and wrap it around 3/4 of the burner. Seems to help a lot.

And I'm a big fan of #27 as well! :mug:

pb

I keep all my brew tools in 2 boxes because I don't do lists. As cold as it is there, I would put your tub outside and fill it tonight.

#1-5 and 14 should be done the day before if possible to save time and to make sure you don't have to go shipping for last minute items you forgot, repairs to equipment that need to be made, propane tanks filled, etc. Nice list though. Have fun!

Brew day outside is easy. You should have a water source nearby in the event of a random fire. Just for kicks. Also a spray bottle for possible boil overs.

Just relax. I brew outside and do all the rest inside. I lay out ingredients inside but I'm about 10 feet from the kitchen if I brew on my deck.

I think #27 should become a permanent tip. Have fun!

Thanks guys. I probably won't be enjoying a brew though, as I have to work later. I will have one tonight. My last homebrew is almost gone!

Well I had fun, got it done, and murphy didn't mess to badly with me. Nice dark wort, very sweet and not hoppy. OG 1.080. I think this one will be quite good when finished.

Well I had fun, got it done, and murphy didn't mess to badly with me. Nice dark wort, very sweet and not hoppy. OG 1.080. I think this one will be quite good when finished.

Good deal!

I'm bending a celebratory elbow for you right now!

pb --- It's good to have good brew days! ;)

Back