First One In The Primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masskrug

Reaction score
Thank you to all who contribute here. I have been lurking for a month deciding if this was even a possibility. I have learned so much, and gained enough confidence to brew my first batch. I decided on Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale clone. Wish me luck! Photos of today's process:

http://loeffel.smugmug.com/Other/Brew/25649233_sVz5t8#!i=2118050653&k=ftkS7rg

BTW, I modified an Igloo 70 quart cube cooler to fit a 6.5 gallon bucket (with airlock) without cutting through the lid!

We will see how fermentation goes.

BTW, I modified an Igloo 70 quart cube cooler to fit a 6.5 gallon bucket (with airlock) without cutting through the lid!

We will see how fermentation goes.

How about some more pix of the cooler. What do you mean by modified? What kind of temps can you get and hold reliably?

How about some more pix of the cooler. What do you mean by modified? What kind of temps can you get and hold reliably?

The front of the bucket and airlock were hitting the lid. I cut part of the inner lid and removed the insulation. The outer shell was not damaged. The airlock fits snugly, but the lid does close.

It is holding 70' with four frozen one-liter bottles, in water, changed daily. I live in Florida, and my house is (still) 80' Hopefully things will cool down here in a month or so.

I had considered the SOFC, but this cooler was on sale at Target. I like the wheels, and the fact that I don't have to rig up wiring for a thermo and fan.

I'm using the Cool Brewing bag, holding 62-64 in a 78 degree house. No water, just two 2 liter frozen bottles. I swap one out for a fresh frozen one every 12 hours.

Back